Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Problem posting directly to someone's wishlist

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/18/2017 7:08 AM ET

Michelle - there are 2 methods of posting to a friend - one is an official transaction with credit protection and ability to mark a book damaged and the other is not.

Mail to a Friend:  a feature that allows you to mail any book on your bookshelf to someone and no credits are officially exchanged in the transaction - it allows you to use PBS to print your wrapper and use PBS postage if you want but it is not an official transaction with credit protection.  Using this method, you can send a book to anyone as long as you have their address - you do not have to be on each other's Friends list and you can even send books to non-PBS members.  I have used the PBS mailing system to mail to an elderly friend of mine who is not a PBS member simply for the convenience of printing a mailing label.   I believe that limited members have to use this method (correct me if I'm wrong) because they do not have the "Post a WL Book to a Friend" feature available to them.

Post a WL Book to a Friend:  For standard members, when we are posting a WL book, any WL book by ISBN, at a certain point in the posting process, if anyone on our Friends list has that exact same book on WL, there is a point where the system tells us that a friend is wishing for that book and gives us the opiton to post to that friend or to bypass the friend and just post it FIFO.  Sometimes more than one friend is wishing for the same book so it gives us the option of posting to whichever friend we want.  If you use this method, it is an official PBS transaction with credits exchanged with protections against damagaed books, lost in the mail, etc.    I just sent 17 WL audiobooks to another member using this method and it worked well.    You just need to make sure you and the recipient are on each other's friends list for it to work.

Because the Mail to a Friend feature and Post a WL Book to a Friend feature both use the word "friend" in them and because all members do not have both features available to them, I think there is some confusion sometimes as to what method is being referred to in different postings about this issue.  I hope this helps. 

Last Edited on: 5/18/17 7:10 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 5/18/2017 4:32 PM ET

"Mail to a friend does not."

this is what io meant, sorry for the confusion!

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 5/18/2017 4:33 PM ET

"Mail to a Friend:  a feature that allows you to mail any book on your bookshelf to someone and no credits are officially exchanged in the transaction - it allows you to use PBS to print your wrapper and use PBS postage if you want but it is not an official transaction with credit protection.  Using this method, you can send a book to anyone as long as you have their address - you do not have to be on each other's Friends list and you can even send books to non-PBS members.  I have used the PBS mailing system to mail to an elderly friend of mine who is not a PBS member simply for the convenience of printing a mailing label.   I believe that limited members have to use this method (correct me if I'm wrong) because they do not have the "Post a WL Book to a Friend" feature available to them."

this is what I meant (AAnd I use this feature alot!) but this is the one where you (I think) can mail any time, if the book is damaged you can't get your credit back (Unless a person wants to) etc

BlackPanther avatar
Standard Member medalTour Guide medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/20/2017 1:05 PM ET

Posting directly to someone's Wishlist should be working now. yes

soelo avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/20/2017 3:40 PM ET

Was there an announcement about this? How do we know it should be working?

mecompton avatar
Date Posted: 5/20/2017 4:12 PM ET

Exactly my thoughts, Sarah!

Given that TPTB never publicly acknowledged that this was even a problem anywhere, I don't see them going out of their way to tell us it is working again and I for one am not going to try it to find out!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/21/2017 11:02 PM ET

I'd like comfirmation as well before I use that method for WL multiples. Anyone?

sinistersarah avatar
Date Posted: 5/22/2017 1:41 PM ET

I just posted several books to one person (who was not a friend or first in line), so it seems to be in working order.

VolunteerVal avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 5/23/2017 12:03 PM ET

Hallalujah!  (It's about time!)

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 5/23/2017 1:44 PM ET

I posted two books on May 21, 2017 and both went to the parties I wanted them to go to, so as far as I know it's been fixed!  Pat

Page: