Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Q about ex-library books...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Catalina avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Q about ex-library books...
Date Posted: 8/21/2017 2:27 PM ET

Can anyone explain to me why so many people say that they refuse ex-library books? This confuses me, because I am always happy when I receive one as they are usually better bindings and thicker covers with protected dust jackets. It's a sturdier book. Why don't people want them?

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/21/2017 2:50 PM ET

The quality of ex-library books varies a lot depending on how many times they got checked out. I've seen some that look brand new, never been read, and others that were obviously read multiple times and are held together by the flimsiest of margins.

I don't have a RC about ex-library books (so I accept them here) but in general I prefer to choose my own so that I can pick out the nice copies and not receive the almost falling apart ones.

Some people don't like the look of all the stickers.

I don't think that "so many" people refuse them, as I hardly ever see it in a RC and I've mailed 1800+ books out.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/21/2017 3:17 PM ET

I don't like them because I don't like them. I get tired of people asking this question.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 8/21/2017 4:34 PM ET

This is a frequent RC I see.  I too like these sturdier books, but as an FOL volunteer I know there is a vast difference in cleanliness of discarded library books-- some look brand new as if they were never checked out, others are worn to death (my used bookstore doesn't shelve these for resale.)

katewisdom avatar
Date Posted: 8/21/2017 4:35 PM ET

I tend to dislike library books largely because I despise the library protective covers. I don't use the same RC for all situations, but generally I tend to ask for no spine stickers and protective covers that will damage the book/dust jacket if removed because if I have to remove either myself then chances are good that the book will be damaged. My typical RC allows for thin pockets and withdrawal stamps though. Also, not that big of an issue, but if for any reason I can't quickly it back out on PBS (ex: if I had to put off reading it for ages or something and it goes non-WL in the meantime) then I can't trade an ex-library book in at the local used bookstore.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 8/21/2017 5:59 PM ET

As Renee said above - some people don't like the protective covers and also as stated above some ex-library books have been abused.

I send out quite a few, but I only get those that look really great and I don't mind getting them as I like the protective covers. Pat

eloisem avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/21/2017 6:00 PM ET

It's on my RC because my daughter has gotten too many really bad books. Many library books are in great condition, but too many are not, i don't mind the stickers or markings; I get they to read not display or collect.

MsK avatar
Ms K. (MsK) -
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/22/2017 6:34 AM ET

maybe they don't want people thinking that they "stole library books" when they see old library books on their shelves.

Not everyone (non-library users) realize that libraries sell their excess inventory.

sprinklesteen avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/22/2017 8:11 AM ET

I just added this RC yesterday.  The problem I find is that far too many of these books have 'hidden' issues.  They look great on the outside, so someone perusing a FOL sale picks it up to swap, without reading it.  I've done this myself.  But, then when it actually IS being read, lo and behold, on page 124 or so is where little Johnny spilled his juice. LOL 

It's just personal preference, too.  Some people only read hardcover.  Others only read paperback.  It's all good.  yes

Catalina avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/22/2017 11:30 AM ET

Thanks for the perspective folks. I have been a member for 11 years and a solid third of the requests I receive have this stipulation. I appear to have been lucky with the ex-library books I have received. :)

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 8/22/2017 12:13 PM ET

I also dont have an RC but I have received some library book sthat the library definitely wanted you to know it was "discarded"!

I had a book that was stamped on the top side and botton with discarded and inside a few times. There were a lot of stickers etc  

Yes you could read it but I don't like it an dif I received many like this, I would put an RC about library books.

ericah avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/29/2017 4:35 PM ET

I like receiving ex-library books if they are hardcovers. I get a lot of books for the high school library I run via PBS, and ex-library hardcovers usually have a plastic cover and a spine label, which cuts the amount of work I have to do to get the book ready for the shelf by quite a bit. A bit of wear and tear doesn't bother me, either -- it shows the book has been well-loved.

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/29/2017 7:45 PM ET

I just got an ex-library book the other day.  If it weren't for the stamp across the top and the discard stamp inside the cover, I'd never have guessed it was ex-library.  I've gotten non-library books in much worse condition.

classicana avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 8/29/2017 9:07 PM ET

I think people with allergies or definite reactions to perfumes, smoke, etc., may just figure that a library book, going through many hands, are more likely to trigger a problem than a book that has probably had only a few or maybe only one person read it...