Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Question about the Book Mates...

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Question about the Book Mates...
Date Posted: 1/21/2009 11:56 AM ET
Member Since: 12/31/2005
Posts: 72
Back To Top

I would like to know from those of you who have purchased both sizes of the book mates, how they work for you?  My ex-mother in-law would like to have them but she reads both hardcover and paperback and I want to make sure to get the right size for her and wondering how the larger size works for hardcover and for the smaller paperbacks??  She really needs this when she's getting her dialysis done 3 times a week and is one armed - I suggested these but want to find out from those who use them how well they work for the two different kinds of books.  Would it be better to get 1 of each size to make sure to cover all bases or??

Thanks for your input.

Date Posted: 1/21/2009 1:36 PM ET
Member Since: 7/23/2006
Posts: 15,930
Back To Top

I've got the one for the trade-size paperbacks.  I've never tried it with a smaller paperback, but it wouldn't work with a hardback.

But she would need both hands to turn the pages .  Maybe a book weight would work better for her?

Date Posted: 1/21/2009 8:35 PM ET
Member Since: 8/19/2007
Posts: 4,398
Back To Top

I'm curious, but what's a bookmate?  (Thought maybe someone else would ask first.  Thanks.  Pat

Date Posted: 1/22/2009 7:32 AM ET
Member Since: 7/23/2006
Posts: 15,930
Back To Top

They sell them in the kiosk.  It's a rigid book cover that stay's open - so when you fit the book in it, it holds the book open - and there's a strap that goes across it to hold the pages down.  To turn the page in your book, you have to close the cover a bit to loosen the strap.

Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 1/22/2009 2:19 PM ET
Member Since: 9/2/2008
Posts: 9,094
Back To Top

Sounds like a really special needs thing.  Look in Amazon for book holders.  They have quite a variety.

I looked at the bookmate too.  I'd be in a quandry as to what to order!

Date Posted: 1/22/2009 5:51 PM ET
Member Since: 8/19/2007
Posts: 4,398
Back To Top

Thanks for the info.  Pat

Date Posted: 1/22/2009 6:06 PM ET
Member Since: 6/25/2007
Posts: 5,637
Back To Top

I'm not sure if this would work, but I came across this book holder thing today. It's called a Thumb Thing.  http://www.thumbthing.com/index_e.htm

Date Posted: 1/23/2009 1:44 AM ET
Member Since: 12/28/2006
Posts: 14,177
Back To Top

I have one similar to a product sold on Amazon called Book Magic Book Clip.  My skills are iffy, this may be the link. . .


Mine is heavy wire covered with protective coating that fits over the spine of a book and holds it open.  Turning pages can be a bit of a wrestle, but definately doable.  Works with all sizes of books.  I use it for reading one handed while doing other things with the other, or to hold my book open for hands free reading. . .ok I read while folding laundry and brushing my teeth, so sue me!

Good luck!

Edited b/c my spelling still sucks.

Last Edited on: 1/23/09 1:45 AM ET - Total times edited: 1