Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Crafting

Topic: Quilting like crazy

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
craftnut avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: Quilting like crazy
Date Posted: 7/19/2013 12:35 PM ET

Anyone else enter competitions for your State Fair?  I have eight entries this year!  I am so excited.  I have most entries in quilting, but one in sewing and one in cross stitch.  If I can get it done, I might put one in silk floral design, but I really have to get the sleeves on the larger quilts first.

If not the State Fair, do you enter other competitions?

craftnut avatar
Date Posted: 7/20/2013 8:19 AM ET

OK, six views and no replies?  Please, somebody come chat.

ETA - Now 15 views!! 

Last Edited on: 7/22/13 8:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Lambie avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/26/2013 8:43 PM ET

Carole, I'm not sure I've ever been to a state fair, but I can kind of see myself wanting to make something to submit someday.
I would like to learn to quilt, but I crochet and cross-stitch and do some sewing.

Good luck!

Last Edited on: 7/26/13 8:43 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
craftnut avatar
Date Posted: 7/27/2013 12:34 PM ET

Thanks Chris, entering the fair is easy and fun.  If you have never been to a State FAir, you need to put that on your bucket list.  Every state has one.  Entering the contests just makes it even more fun, gives it a different dimension to see your own projects in the show, winning ribbons is a real rush, and you might know other people competing.  I love it.

Lambie avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 7/29/2013 1:36 AM ET

I know my daughter has been to the state fair.  She does a stint on call with her emergency squad.  Every year she threatens to bring me  home a
couple of baby chicks.  LOL!!!

craftnut avatar
Date Posted: 7/31/2013 9:21 AM ET

You should go at least once, it is such a hoot.  I like looking at all the crafts, and the animals.  I'm not much for carny games or rides, but there are usually shows and enough to keep me busy for a day.  Plus I can have a corn dog and a funnel cake.   Our fair has pig races, has to be seen to be believed.

Lambie avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 8/1/2013 12:38 AM ET

Maybe I have been, because I know I've seen the racing pigs.  :)            It was long, long ago though.

Generic Profile avatar
Shelly -
Date Posted: 8/1/2013 8:51 PM ET

I got turned off from the state fair the first year I was quilting. I was thinking about entering the 'my first quilt' catagory. Then I seen the winner. There is no way that was a first time quilter. I've seen some pro's not do as well as that was! It was really dishearting to me about shows and contests.