Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Ragged Edges

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Ragged Edges
Date Posted: 12/29/2009 6:40 PM ET
Member Since: 9/27/2008
Posts: 370
Back To Top

Would this have been a problem with the publisher of the book?  I have a hardback that looks like someone put it together in their basement.  I'm not quite sure how to describe it.  The pages are not uniform in size.  And the edges, instead of having a sharp, crisp edge, they are ragged as though they were cut with dull scissors. 

Am I making sense?  I hope so.  Anyway, I was wondering if this book is postable. 

Date Posted: 12/29/2009 7:04 PM ET
Member Since: 10/22/2009
Posts: 1,452
Back To Top

Is the paper "deckle edge" paper--as shown in this picture?


There's also a short description of "deckle edge" at Amazon on this page:  http://www.amazon.com/Vision-White-Bride-Quartet-Book/dp/0425227510/ref=bxgy_cc_b_img_b

If this is the case, I'd consider the book postable, as this is intentional by the publisher and isn't just from abuse.

Date Posted: 12/29/2009 7:19 PM ET
Member Since: 10/13/2007
Posts: 36,445
Back To Top

What is the books title? from what we can see if its meant to be deckled or not.

Date Posted: 12/29/2009 8:02 PM ET
Member Since: 2/21/2009
Posts: 2,926
Back To Top

I've posted and sent several books with deckled edges without a problem. In old books with handmade paper it was common, now it's machine done either to look "fancy" or "old" or both. I like them personally, but they collect dust and are kind of a pain in that regard.

Date Posted: 12/29/2009 8:48 PM ET
Member Since: 7/19/2008
Posts: 15,485
Back To Top

It often shows up in the first editions.   It was originally included to show the quality of the paper.  High quality cotton paper has a natural deckle edge to it. 

Date Posted: 12/29/2009 8:58 PM ET
Member Since: 9/27/2008
Posts: 370
Back To Top

Thank you.  Now that I saw that picture, it's quite clear that it's a deckled edge.  I don't read a lot of hardbacks so I'm not familiar with this.  If I ever saw it at the bookstore I probably just put it down thinking it was messed up.  But it's good to know it's designed that way and that I don't have to mark the book RWAP.

Date Posted: 12/29/2009 11:23 PM ET
Member Since: 8/17/2005
Posts: 1,594
Back To Top

I wondered what that was I got U is for Undertow and I think it was also in I Alex Cross I was like...look at these pages...ugh lol