While yesterday was Do a Grouch a Favor Day, today celebrates kindness. February 17th is known as Random Acts of Kindness Day which occurs during Random Acts of Kindness Week.
All it takes is a smile, a kind word or simple gesture to a friend, a neighbor or a stranger. And a simple act of kindness doesn’t cost a thing – just a moment out of time. A simple heartfelt compliment can really brighten someone’s day. A spontaneous pat on the back or gentle hug can cheer up someone who is having a bad day. After all, we all could use a hug, a compliment or word of encouragement, couldn’t we? And chances are pretty good your act of kindness will not only make someone else feel better, it'll make you feel better too!
Just imagine if everyone performed a random act of kindness. By taking a single moment out of our busy and hectic lives to do something nice for someone else, sets a great example for others and sends a great message to children too.
Random Acts of Kindness Day Ideas:
- Give a heartfelt compliment to a co-worker. Comment on his or her hair style or outfit.
- Volunteer your time at a local animal shelter.
- If you are in line at the store, let the person behind you go first.
- Instead of pushing your grocery cart back where it belongs, return two carts instead.
- Visit a local retirement center and make a new friend.
- If you are going through the drive-thru at lunch today, pay for the person’s lunch behind you and ask they do the same thing. Pay it forward.
- If it’s garbage day, return your neighbor’s garbage cans where they belong.
- If you live in a warm location, mow or rake your neighbor’s yard. If your driveway is covered in snow, shovel your neighbor’s driveway.
- If you are in the car and are at a four-way-stop, let another driver go first.
- Bake a batch of cookies and drop them off at work or at your children’s school.
- Send a free electronic greeting.
And don’t forget World Kindness Day.