Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: PBS works! What fun!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: PBS works! What fun!
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 10:10 AM ET

I've been a member for a few months now, and I'm really enjoying seeing how everything actually works the way it's supposed to.

At first I posted mostly wish-list books, and they were snapped up quickly. I requested mainly books that were in the system, and got them with few incidents.

But now I'm seeing more things happen. They're not unusual things on PBS, but still, it's fun to experience for myself that these features really do work:

• Unusual books for which I was the sole wisher have come to me.
  • I've worked my way up to the first in line for books in FIFO and had them requested.
  • I've worked my way up a couple of wishlist lines and received my desired book.
  • Other books I'm still waiting for, but my experience indicates I'll have a number of them in less than a year (which is fine).
  • I've had books requested that I thought would never leave my bookshelf.
  • I've discovered unusual books that I never would have found otherwise.
  • I've had someone visit my shelf to request an unusual book, and also request a couple of books that were still far up in their FIFO queue - and I've been able to enjoy mailing three books for $3.15 or something, rather than one book at closer to $2.50. 
  • I've seen a book on local friend's wishlist that I realized I have on my shelf and don't mind passing on, so I've worked out a hand-to-hand deal.

This is so much fun!

I joined mainly to thin out my bookshelves and get my books into the hands of people who could appreciate them. I'm not sure that my bookshelves are much thinned out, but certainly I'm trading books that I no longer want for books that we can use. I did not anticipate that PBS would turn into such a hobby, though!

Edited to correct typo

Last Edited on: 10/6/10 2:07 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
riahekans avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 10:23 AM ET

You post made me smile, Elizabeth. Thanks! It's always nice to hear that people are enjoying themselves here. :)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 10:30 AM ET

Thanks for sharing your story.  It is awesome to read anecdotes about how people use and enjoy the site.

patmat avatar
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 10:41 AM ET

How fun to open such a joyful post this morning! Thank you for the wonderful reminder about all the good things about PBS. 

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 10:59 AM ET

Great post! :)

manatee7 avatar
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 11:59 AM ET

Very nice post!  I LOVE PBS!  smiley

CozSnShine avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 12:10 PM ET

Thank you for such a great post.  I think the majority of people love PBS and it works for them.  But, we often only hear about the problem swaps.  Thank you!

robdee avatar
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 12:20 PM ET

yes

-RD

dordale avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 12:33 PM ET

Great post Elizabeth! 

I share your feelings about PBS.

As with you, one of my expectations when I joined was to be able to thin out my bookshelf.  Well, let me tell you, that hasn't happened!  But, what I have been able to do is turn books that I've read and were just sitting around gathering dust into books that I haven't read yet.  Now my TBR pile is very scary!!  I'm enjoying this site immensely!

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 1:30 PM ET

Ah Elizabeth...you have discovered the addictive qualities of PBS! Ain't it grand!?!?

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 4:55 PM ET

Your experience mirrors mine over the years--very few problems, lots of fun and interesting things happening. Not too long ago I got a wishlisted book that I had been on the list waiting for for over 3 years--never thought I'd get it but was too stubborn to take it off my wishlist. What a pleasant surprise that was.

Hope your pleasant experiences continue! :)

Cheryl

tracevt avatar
Subject: Did well at first
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 5:10 PM ET

I was able to find used copies of the books my son's 11th grade teacher required over the summer. After that though, I hit a wall. The books on my wishlist, some are newer and you rarely see copies up for grabs. I finally have worked my way to the top of the list for a Stephen King, but it's been four weeks of being in the top spot and I still haven't gotten a copy. I know with another book I finally gave up and bought a copy used. But I'm determined to get this Stephen King since I was patient enough to stick it out this long.

kimg2 avatar
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 6:13 PM ET

Glad you are enjoying it.  I love PBS also.  And all of it's addictiveness laugh

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 8:20 PM ET

So nice to hear the good stuff once in awhile...LOL

Glad to know you are enjoying it!

flchris avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 9:58 PM ET

Yay for you, Elizabeth.  And yea...that "thinning out" thing never quite works out ;)

starvinArtist avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 10/6/2010 11:32 PM ET

Welcome to our addiction!   I have found the same to be true.  As a paranoid person, I joined with much trepidation, posted only 10 books, ordered 2 with my "free" credits right away (after reading about how things worked and what was expected).  Then I fell in love.

This is my favorite site!!!

Come check out the games forum, think you will have  a lot of fun there.

celeria avatar
Date Posted: 10/7/2010 9:01 AM ET

Thanks for your post, Elizabeth (from another Elizabeth!).  I'm in the middle of an RWAP dispute, and it's bumming me out more than it should, so it's good to focus on the positive.  I've been here for five years and it occured to me that I've had 999 successful trades (okay, that didn't exactly occur to me -- I had to go look it up).  Even when I've had RWAPs from my end or the receiver's, as far as I can remember, they were all resolved easily and politely.

Overwhelmingly, I think people have good/great experiences on this site!  (And although I'm on both SwapaCD and SwapaDVD, I do more trading here than the others combined.)

katiebegood avatar
Date Posted: 10/7/2010 11:37 AM ET

Boy, you got to the front of the FIFO line rather quickly.  It has taken me almost a year to get there.  Welcome to the family and I hope you continue to have fun.  I'm trying to avoid having to buy another bookshelf right now because I've bought so many books here I have them stacked on the floor now!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/8/2010 7:25 PM ET

What a delightful story, Elizabeth!

I decided to be cautious with my credits, because I didn't have a lot of books to swap, but browsing PBS gave me plenty of ideas for checking out at my local library. Then, I found a book I did want to order and loved it. I've already loaned it out to one friend and am planning to loan it to another.

Browsing the "similar suggestions" for that book led me to a lesser-known book by one of my husband's favorite authors that sounded fascinating, and the member's bookshelf held a copy of yet another lesser-known book by the same author (neither of which was at my library). They arrived within a week of my order, and my husband and I have enjoyed both of them immensely. Now I've got two more books by that author on the way, including the first in his more famous series which my husband likes (but didn't own).

I'm so delighted that PBS has led me to books I've enjoyed so much (whether through the library or by swapping). I'm even more delighted that it gave me the boost I needed to get interested in an author my husband enjoys.