Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Received a book with NO postage on it

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Received a book with NO postage on it
Date Posted: 3/22/2019 3:13 PM ET

I just received a book from a member. It had NO postage on it so I had to pay the full amount. Will PBS refund my credit or do I need to ask the sender to do so? Or would you just let it go?

soelo avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/22/2019 3:24 PM ET

I would mark the book received with a problem (RWAP) and explain in the notes that the book came postage due. Ask for a credit or for the money, just be polite since it may have been a mistake or the postage might have fallen off. PBS generally does not step in on disputes like this unless the other member admits they are at fault and refuses to make it right. If they don't respond or refuse to help, you can mark the RWAP as unresolved.

Last Edited on: 3/22/19 3:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 3/22/2019 5:53 PM ET

I have had that happen several times, but I was never charged as the PO assumed their sticker fell off each time......there is some brown wrapping paper that apparently doesn't always work well with the stickum on the PO stickers.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/22/2019 8:27 PM ET

The sender might have a receipt that shows that they paid postage. If they do, maybe you can get your money back.

VolunteerVal avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medal
Date Posted: 3/23/2019 12:29 AM ET

I’ve received a few PBS book packages with no postage over the years but have never had to pay.  I always wonder if there was postage that fell off OR if the sender was confused by the notation in the top right corner of the wrapper and thought postage was already applied.

MSCOZY avatar
Friend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 3/23/2019 6:34 AM ET

The machines and the clerks should have caught the no postage parcel.  It should have gone back to the sender with a postage needed sticker or rubber stamped on the front.

Mark it RWAP and explain to the sender, asking for reimbursement of postage.  Set a date, like March 26th, that they must respond by.  If no reply or refusal of reimbursement, I would contact PBS.  Sometimes people get busy and just drop their mail off.  I make it a habit to check that the to address is visible, correct and clear.  Then check the envelope/parcel is sealed with a good packaging tape, no masking or scotch tape.  Also check for your return address label.  I enclose both the to and from address labels inside parcels and important correspondence. .  Now make sure there is postage affixed, the correct amount.

Last Edited on: 3/23/19 11:23 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 3/23/2019 5:21 PM ET

Once I mailed some books at a small postal facility and when I took the books in the postal clerk thought the notation indicated I'd  paid postage. She wasn't a regular employee though. 

MSCOZY avatar
Date Posted: 3/28/2019 4:24 PM ET

Was there a tracking number sticker on the parcel?

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/29/2019 3:30 PM ET

Was there a tracking number sticker on the parcel?

No. There was nothing. No postage and no indication that there had ever been postage. Just a printed PBS address label, no sign that there had been stamps that had fallen off or anything like that. I'm really surprised it wasn't returned to the sender.

MSCOZY avatar
Date Posted: 3/29/2019 5:06 PM ET

Usually it is returned to sender but sometimes if it is not noticed until the delivery carrier sees it, they try the recipient first since it made it all the way there.  You can refuse it and it will go back to sender postage due. She would have to pay to get it back.

Did you mark it RWAP?  Did you contact PBS?  They can look into her account and see if she has done this before and how many times.  Did you get your money back or a credit refunded?

I had one gal who loved to reuse postage.  I filed a report with the postal inspectors and let PBS know.  You may want to steer clear of this swapper or it could simply have been an error.  One should always look, L@@k, at whatever you are mailing to check the to address is visible and legible.  You should have your return address visible.  Check that it is closed, sealed well.  And check you affixed postage.  Takes an extra 2-3 seconds.

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/31/2019 4:42 PM ET

At my post office there is a lady who sticks the postage on with one finger, she just basically sets it on top without pressing it down. Drives me nuts, I can barely stop myself from reaching across her and pressing it down myself. I would not be suprised if the postage falls off her packages frequently.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 4/7/2019 1:36 PM ET

Just got a book that was mailed with stamps on it.  It appeared to not have been cancelled, but when I looked real close (almost with my nose touching the pkg) there were faint circular red marks on some of the stamps....just the type of thing cheaters might try to reuse.

Unrelated, but interesting.......yesterday I signed for a small almost weightless package that came airmail from overseas. There was no return address at all, just my hubby's name as the recipient on the label.   He says it's my anniversary gift so no snooping, but I really wonder how it got here!