Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Received empty wrapper

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
jessicat avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Received empty wrapper
Date Posted: 1/14/2019 1:49 PM ET

About a month ago, I got one of my most wanted books posted to me and was so excited since I've been waiting a long time for it. But unfortunately I got an empty envelope delivered to my mailbox with a note from USPS that my item had been damaged/lost during shipping. I did WRAP with the Empty Wrapper option 3 weeks ago, but the sender never contacted me back, and now today the transaction has marked itself completed and my position (first in line) has been lost on my wishlist.

Am I out of luck on this one?

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2019 1:54 PM ET

So, this isn't the senders problem and they can't do anything about it, so no need to contact them or wait for a message.

What should have happened when you marked RWAP - Empty Wrapper".

1. Your transaction stays on "Enroute To Me" until the normal cancel date (26 days after it was marked mailed).

At the normal cancel date, PBS automatically cancels the transaction and:

1. You go back on the WL in the position you were in before.
  2. Your credit gets refunded automatically by PBS.

If PBS didn;t work properly, then contact them thru the Contact Us button below.

I woudl double scheck to make sure the transaction still isn't listed on "Enroute To Me" though ... you need to wait out the mailing period before the PBS system acts.

Last Edited on: 1/14/19 1:54 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
jessicat avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2019 2:06 PM ET

Thanks for your quick response, Sara! It's showing in my transaction archive as:

Date Mailed: 12/19/2018 3:31 PM ET 
Date Received: 1/14/2019 3:35 AM ET 

The book was also automatically added to my PBS shelf and I did double check to make sure it wasn't on my wishlist, just in case. And since it's showing as "recevied" I didn't get my credit back either. Going to contact PBS right now.

Unrelated, but bummer, I've had this book posted to me 3 times now by different people, and not once has it arrived safely. =(

jessicat avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2019 2:28 PM ET

The PBS team responded within a few minutes and everything is all good now. Book shows on my wishlist in the proper position and my credit has been returned.

Thank you PBS team! =)

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2019 4:48 PM ET

Sorry this happened to you, especially for a much-desired book that keeps missing getting to you!  But know that this is a rare occurrence, have only had it happen to me once in my almost 10 years with PBS.

hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/14/2019 5:11 PM ET

The PO usually does a good job getting books to us, even when the wrappers are shredded. I've received books several times in a special PO envelope, containing the book and the destroyed envelope it was in. This month, a member sent me 11 paperbacks in one envelope. When I opened the mail box and took out the envelope the books spilled all over the street. The entire end of the envelope was torn open. How they all got here is a mystery, and a tribute to the PO.

Quite often the problem is the envelope isn't fitted to the book(s). As a result, the book(s) floats around in the envelope, eventually tearing it open. This is why I use tape to ensure a snug fit when I ship.

Last Edited on: 1/15/19 12:42 PM ET - Total times edited: 2