Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Recommendations please

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Recommendations please
Date Posted: 10/27/2015 8:07 AM ET

I recently got hooked on all the Eve Dallas murder mysteries (....in Death series) by J.D. Robb. and am looking for more like it. Can you recommend some authors or series? Thanks for your input.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 10/27/2015 11:59 AM ET

I don't know the Eve Dallas mysteries so I don't know what these are like, but I would guess Agatha Christie might be similar. For myself I enjoy the Maigret stories of Georges Simenon. They are short and have interesting characters. Unfortunately they are a little hard to find here.

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Triple Diamond medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 10/30/2015 6:12 PM ET

Prolific romance author Nora Roberts (J.D. Robb when writing her futuristic mysteries) would be most like the collaborative work of Cathrine Coulter and J.T. Ellison Brit in the FBI series, Karen Robards, the lighter more humorous caper books by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg Fox and O'Hare series. 

If the 'futuristic' element appeals, you might want to peruse some urban fantasy type books.  Some are more Dystopian, but others more UF.paranormal.  One good, but short, series was written by Lisa Shearin called the SPI Files, another is the Charlie Madigan books by Kellie Gay.

Another good one, but only 2 books so far, is Lynn Viehl's Disenchanted, Inc and Clockwork Wolf - Steampunk style mystery.

It really is hard to judge what about the Robb books appeals to you.  The police procedural style, the lighter hand in her writing vs many darker noir style books, a female protagonist, the futuristic setting - but read the Amazon reviews of the authors above and see if anything appeals.

I love Craig Johnson, David Housewrite, Colin Cotterill, and Martin Walker - but other than all being mysteries, those books have nothing in common based on style and atmosphere.

bears1 avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/3/2015 9:29 AM ET

I can't remember the site, but isn't there one where you can put in an author that you like and it will recommend other authors of the same genre?

rjvagabond avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 11/7/2015 8:07 PM ET

Go to:

http://www.literature-map.com/j-2e+d-2e+robb.html

I'm an avid fan of the "In Death" series and while I can't think of any series that close to the series but I find I enjoy almost as well the romantic thrillers of Linda Howard, Sandra Brown, Kay Hooper, Suzanne Brockman and Julie Garwood.  

mylittlemommy avatar
Subject: Mariah Stewart
Date Posted: 1/10/2016 6:46 PM ET

I am not familar with Eve Dallas but I have really enjoyed Mariah Stewart's books. I have purchased many of them when I couldn't find them on PBS. I have used this website quite a bit to find new authors that are simular to ones I love. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/mariah-stewart/

Stewart's "Dead" series is one that had me hooked.