Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Requester Conditions on Audio Books - Should I Send or Not?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Subject: Requester Conditions on Audio Books - Should I Send or Not?
Date Posted: 4/22/2018 5:21 PM ET

Got an order for an audio book. Requester conditions said no skips please. I've never listened to this book it was in a box of library discards that was given to me. Being ex library it's probably seen a lot of use. It has minor scratches but none of them are bad. I accepted but PM'd the requester. Should I send if she never answers? It's been 3 days and based on her profile the requester is not a particularly active member.

And no, I'm NOT going to listen to 12 CDs of an author I absolutely HATE to find out if it skips.

I do know I've sent out other audio books from this library and never gotten a complaint about one skipping before. I also resurface every disc I send out.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/22/2018 6:46 PM ET

for myself if there is any doubt I always cancel. but that's just me. I guess you will have to make up your own mind.

gingerkitty avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/22/2018 8:12 PM ET

If you can't be sure that it doesn't skip, then I'd decline based on the RC.  Only way to find out is to listen to the CDs.  If you don't want to do that, decline the RCs and let it move on to the next person in line.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/24/2018 6:55 AM ET

I wouldn't mail either.  Even if you listened to it and it didn't skip for you, there's no guarantee that it won't skip for her on her equipment.  I've had the experience of having the same disc skip when I play it on one player but not skip if I switch to a different player.  If I rec'd a request from someone with that RC, I'd decline every time simply b/c of the potential that different players act differently. 

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 4/24/2018 9:20 PM ET

I had a set of CDs and listened to them in my car. One of the CDs started skipping. When I was finished listening to them, I brought them in and listened to the one that skipped on my in-house player and it didn't skip, so I posted it and shipped it off. Guess it depends on the equipment, but like you I wouldn't send if there's an RC.

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 4/24/2018 9:20 PM ET

I had a set of CDs and listened to them in my car. One of the CDs started skipping. When I was finished listening to them, I brought them in and listened to the one that skipped on my in-house player and it didn't skip, so I posted it and shipped it off. Guess it depends on the equipment, but like you I wouldn't send if there's an RC.