Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: requestor conditions question

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: requestor conditions question
Date Posted: 9/30/2008 8:38 PM ET
Member Since: 3/29/2008
Posts: 16
Back To Top

I just recieved a request for a WL book with the following conditions:

 I am not willing to accept books that have visible  mold or water damage , been around pets or  from

a smoking home ....  because  allergies  suck  :-(    ....  

nor  will   I  accept   books that are  torn  with loose  pages ....

but please check with me before cancelling  a request ... I sometimes

request  books for my sister  who  has no allergies ....

My book meets all the requests except it has been around my dog.  She asks to check with her before cancelling, but there is no option to PM her.  What should I do?  Thanks for any advice.

Date Posted: 9/30/2008 8:39 PM ET
Member Since: 8/13/2008
Posts: 13,147
Back To Top

I would just cancel since you can't PM someone before you accept the offer. That's just my opinion though.

Date Posted: 9/30/2008 8:47 PM ET
Member Since: 9/30/2006
Posts: 7,027
Back To Top

Melissa, you need to know a couple things before you do anything.  First, in order to get to the PM button, you must accept the request.  Then you can PM the member and discuss the matter.  But what happens if you both decide that the book doesn't meet her requestor guidelines, then what?  The PBS rules state that if a member has a requestor condition and asks you to send her a PM to discuss it, if it doesn't meet the conditions, it is up to the other member, not you, to cancel the request.  Because if you cancel the request, the book will be removed from your bookshelf, you will have to post it again and this will put you at the back of the FIFO line.  She is the one who needs to cancel the request.  If there is nothing in the requestor conditions asking you to contact the member and you do so, and the book ends up not meeting the conditions, then you do have to cancel the request, and you'll have to repost your book.

Just something to consider now and in the future.

Date Posted: 9/30/2008 8:59 PM ET
Member Since: 2/23/2008
Posts: 285
Back To Top

You said this was a wish list book, so that means there were no copies of it available anyway.  If you accept and then cancel this offer because of the conditions, then the book can be re-posted and offered to the next person on the wish list.  If there's no one else in line, then you're book will be posted to your bookshelf and be the first one in the FIFO line.  It sounds like you cancelling it won't really affect that since there are no other copies available anyway.  I think it's up to you whether or not you want to bother with PMing her and then possibly one of you cancelling it or just saying it doesn't meet her conditions and letting it go on to the next person.

Last Edited on: 9/30/08 9:02 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 9/30/2008 9:00 PM ET
Member Since: 8/23/2007
Posts: 26,510
Back To Top

I would decline the request  for rcs and in the reasoning: put that you have a dog and that there is no way to PM the member without accepting the request first.  Then maybe suggest that she turn RCS off if ordering a book for someone else or put her nickname in the RCS.  I don't PM so even if the nickname was included, I would decline.  I tried the PMing thing before and I ended up waiting and waiting and then having to decide what to do.  So no more pms from me either my books meets your rcs or it doesn't.

If you do decide to PM you need to be prepared to cancel the transaction if they don't respond in time and lose your place in the FIFO line. Not a big deal if it's a WL book but very annoying if it's been working it's way up a long line for a while. 

Last Edited on: 9/30/08 9:01 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 9/30/2008 9:42 PM ET
Member Since: 4/25/2007
Posts: 11,729
Back To Top

I'd decline for RCs.  I'm not going to waste my time with PMs when the book has been around a pet and the requestor says no pets.  Requestor should turn off the RCs if they're requesting a book for someone else or put their PBS nickname in the RCs to make it easier to contact them without having to accept first.

Date Posted: 9/30/2008 10:33 PM ET
Member Since: 7/31/2007
Posts: 2,695
Back To Top

also, if you accept and then you have to cancel the transaction from personal experience you will not be able to post the book again until that person has been offered a book.  I'd just decline it for RCs and let it move on down the WL line.

Date Posted: 10/1/2008 7:57 PM ET
Member Since: 3/29/2008
Posts: 16
Back To Top

Thanks everyone for your advice.  I think I am going to decline and suggest to her that she turn off RC's if requesting for someone else.