Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Money Saving Tips Money Saving Tips

Topic: sandals for summer and I can't believe I never thought of this before

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: sandals for summer and I can't believe I never thought of this before
Date Posted: 5/25/2012 5:13 PM ET

I've been noodling around on line looking for sandals, as I got out last year's group and they look a bit sad and sorry.  You guessed it---I got massive sticker shock.  You're charging THAT MUCH  for those?  Yikes!  So I went through the rest of the old  shoes.  I found a pair of fisherman shoes that were always a problem because one of the straps rubbed my toe in a rude and painful way.  So I got that razor blade type knife from the shop and carefully  trimmed that strap off.  I finished off the cut edges with shoe polish.  They feel good and look good! 

Then I took a pair of clogs that were a tiny bit on the short side and performed surgery on them, too.  I drew the lines carefully and cut very slowly.  Voila!  The sandals are much cuter than the clogs. 

People must have done shoe surgery before this, but to be honest I never thought of it.  I like the sandals because I liked the shoes, and now I have two pairs of sandals for summer.  I really feel good about this bit of repurposing!

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 6/3/2012 3:43 AM ET

Congratulations! Good job thinking of a creative way to make what you already have work for you. I'm impressed!! Peggy

zrbsk avatar
Date Posted: 8/10/2012 12:03 AM ET

OH! I never thought of that! Do you have pics? I'm a visual gal lol

Last Edited on: 8/10/12 12:04 AM ET - Total times edited: 1