Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Money Saving Tips Money Saving Tips

Topic: save on shaving razors

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
hardtack avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: save on shaving razors
Date Posted: 3/6/2012 7:09 PM ET

I posted this in another forum about blades and decided to share it here also.

I still shave using a brush and a cake of shaving soap. Actually, I just buy a $1.99 cake of soap at a natural foods store (current 'flavor' is oatmeal and pine). The cake of soap fits into my old Old Spice shaving cup. I get a great shave for very little $$$$$.

Do you know what makes blades go dull?  Rust.  I figured out a way to make my disposable blades last 6-8 weeks each and I have a fast growing beard.  I have a small container that has a small ledge (actually two small pieces of plastic perpendicular to the axis of the container) in it. After shaving I shake the excess water off the blade and then place it in the container.  The blade sits on the ledge, and excess water sinks to the bottom of the container. The secret is that the container is partly filled with common vegetable oil. This coats the blade and prevent rusting, allowing the blade to stay sharp longer.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 3/15/2012 3:33 PM ET

ha, ha Thomas-- My dad (age 84)  still uses the brush and cake of soap with his razor too.  And he smells great!

myhotstylist avatar
PBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 5/1/2012 6:54 PM ET

Last Edited on: 8/21/12 2:32 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/3/2012 10:32 AM ET

Good substitution for a shaving cream out of a can is hair conditioner. Even the cheapest one works great! And it doesn't leave your skin dry :)

jim024 avatar
Date Posted: 7/21/2012 7:06 PM ET

I'll have to try the hair conditioner.  I've been shaving with a soap and brush for awhile now.......great shave and cost practically nothing.  A doctor told me it is healthier too -- if you use a natural type soap.  Believe it or not, when you shave (and this applies for the ladies too), you make micro-cuts in your skin.  These micro-cuts actually bleed a little (you really can't see it) and exposes your bloodstream to whatever you're shaving with.  The doc told me to shave with a high-quality natural soap (something like Dr. Bronner's soaps -- all natural and organic).  Good idea.