Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: September 1st --- What are you reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
DebKit avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/19/2016 7:29 AM ET

An Elizabeth Chadwick I've never read before!! Shields of Pride. Very glad to have a "new" one to read! Debbie

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/19/2016 7:41 AM ET

Elizabeth Chadwick's writing is beautiful

Alice

KellyP avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/19/2016 1:44 PM ET

Cheryl, I loved The Secret Chord. Thought it was wonderful, beautifully written book and with an interpretation that feels very authentic to me. 

As for me, I skipped a lot of things I should have have been doing to finish The Gods of Gotham (Lyndsay Faye) this morning! Having the book in print and in audio allowed me to really race through it, which is the only way I could have read this book ... as quickly as possible with other tasks and obligations completely abandoned.

Lyndsay Faye has such a clever way of writing; I thought so w/ Dust & Shadow and that has only been reinforced with this fast-paced mystery set in the NYC in the 1845. The NYPD has been formally organized and two brothers highly unlikely and (seemingly) unqualified to be so are two of the new 'copper stars'; one a Captain in the 8th Ward; and one a Roundsman in the 6th Ward. But it's about who you know, how well you can spot a lie, how willing you are to get your knuckles dirty & bruised, and how observant you are that made the difference in the early days of the NYC police force. Great mystery, great characters, wonderful writing! 

Linda is reading the 2nd one in the trilogy; and not being willing to wait on the print copy, I have borrowed the e-book from our local library. 

Kelly

rainfall avatar
Date Posted: 9/19/2016 2:34 PM ET

Cheryl, I also loved The Secret Chord. I wasn't sure what to expect when I read the summary and was very glad I picked it up. :)

Right now I am listening to The Museum of Extraordinary Things. Not exactly HF, but it was supposed to be for my IRL book club except they changed the book choice and I'd already started this one. It has kept me interested so far! 

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 9/19/2016 6:51 PM ET

Kelly I loved The Gods of Gotham.  I've read the second one and I have the third waiting as a treat on Mt. TBR!

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/20/2016 8:04 AM ET

I am reading a wonderful historical mystery

Excellent series set in early 1800s England. Start with book one otherwise it won't make sense. One of my favorite series right now
drw avatar
Date Posted: 9/20/2016 9:21 AM ET

I'm reading Regeneration, the first in a trilogy about WWI and the mental health treatment of soldiers dealing with "shell shock." I've had all three books on my shelf for awhile and finally getting to them.

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/20/2016 9:25 AM ET

That sounds really good Donna who is the author?

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/20/2016 10:51 AM ET

Just finished The Absolutist and I quite liked it.  It's about WWII and two soldiers who have different backgrounds, sexual orientation and beliefs.  Both enter the war enthusiastically wanting to do their part for England.  The difference is that one discovers he prefers men to women.  The other swings both ways but denies that aspect of his personality.  However, most of the novel is about the battles they fight and the losses their group experiences.  What happens to men under stress?  This novel shares several different reactions and experiences.

Regneration is a novel by Pat Barker and the title of the trilogy.  I liked all of them very much.  Hope you do, too, Donna.

Last Edited on: 9/20/16 10:54 AM ET - Total times edited: 3
DebKit avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/26/2016 12:41 PM ET

Has anyone read the Tony Venables "Robin Hood" - Sherwood book, Hunter of Sherwood, Knight of Shadows? It's the first of a series...

I don't need another series in my life, so I'd like some input before I ignore my common sense (again). Debbie

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/26/2016 1:18 PM ET

LOL Debbie! I haven't read it so it's up to you to decide. I am like you - don't need another series either. indecision

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 9/26/2016 1:54 PM ET

Love Robin Hood --- how  many in the series (hee hee)!!!

Oh my goodness --- just looked and all 3 are under $5 on Kindle!!!  Okay one of the books is an omnibus of books 2 and 3.  Book 4 coming in January.  In reading the blurbs it seems the good guy is a knight for John and the real baddies are Hood and his compatriots.  Do not know if I can handle anything being good about John and his cohorts, or Robin being bad!!!

Deb if you read this, please pass on your opinions.

Last Edited on: 9/26/16 2:03 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
drw avatar
Date Posted: 9/27/2016 8:08 PM ET

Just started Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. I came across it at the library. Based on a real life WWII heroine. It's well written and engaging so far but I'm just about 40 pages in. Also reading a nonfiction by Ron Chernow - Washington, a Life. I'll read this in bits over the next month.

DebKit avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2016 9:59 AM ET

Bought the Robin Hood books (in my note above) but as I reached for my Kindle, I spotted Thieftaker by D. B. Jackson. Started it and could not stop; I'm now reading the 2nd of the series, Thieve's Quarry. Needless to say, not a lot of downsizing has been happening, but I'm enjoying myself tremendously. Can't wait to get my hands on books 3 and 4! Debbie

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 9/29/2016 10:14 AM ET

Deborah,

I like the Thieftaker series. Well written. Love his view of old Boston.

Alice

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2016 7:11 PM ET

Yes, I like the Thieftaker series, too.  So many books!  So little time!  I'm now reading another Brother Cadfael book, Monk's Hood.  Rather like that character.  This is the case of a another woman writing under a man's name.

Last Edited on: 9/30/16 12:11 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Page: