Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Mystery & Thrillers

Topic: September, the beginning of a new school year and books to read!

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
quiltpurple avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2015 11:11 AM ET

Give 'Em Pumpkin to Talk About by Joyce and Jim Lavene was absolutely fun and wonderful.  I gave it a full four stars.  I sat down Sunday evening with the idea of watching some TV but picked up the book instead.  I kept trying to put it down and go to bed, but I would tell myself I could read one more chapter.  Well, at midnight (and I go to bed between 10 and 10:30) I finally finished the book.  I thought the plot was great, the characters realistic, and I can't wait for the next book.  The MC isn't ditsy, pushy, or unrealistic, and it was very refreshing to feel like a normal person was the MC.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2015 11:39 AM ET

I began reading The Mushroom Man / Stuart Pawson, the second in the series.  I concked out in a flash and have no idea what I read.  blush

Today is the day my pre-orders from Amazon will arrive.  I was running out of thing to read!  Actually had to read three oldies from my TBR.  Which is getting low.  This may be a disaster in the making!  I only ordered six books compared to the past when it was nothing for me to get 25 new books.  Of course I do have my Kindle.

daisymau avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2015 6:09 PM ET

Becky: Walker's are great for people who have mobility issues. A lot of people would not be able to go out and do anything without them. The only thing I don't really like about them, is that the brakes don't really work really well.

Connie: Hope your DH is doing well.

I just bought  Give "Em Pumpkin to Talk About. I'm still trying to read I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. It bounces around too much for my liking.

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2015 7:46 PM ET

Good news today at the doc.  No movement of the fracture.  One more week down as much as possible and another x-ray next Tuesday.  If that one shows no movement, then the likelihood of needing a plate put in is pretty much nil.  Probably still be down as much as possible for a while longer, but feel better that perhaps surgery is not in the future. Did get a bright red "wheelie" walker today and it is fabulous.  I can either simply bend the knee of the bad foot and prop it on the seat and propel myself with the good leg, or I can sit and sort of move myself around with both feet while sitting.  It also has a basket!! 

Just a few more pages of "The Prime Minister's Secret Agent".  Still working on "The Crooked Spire" on Kindle.

quiltpurple avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 9/29/2015 8:40 PM ET

Yeah Becky.  Great news about your new transportation.  Now just don't try to do any "wheelies" with your new wheelie.  laugh

Geri, I'll be interested to see if you like the pumpkin book as much as I did.

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 12:28 AM ET

Finished Blood Price. I kind of liked Henry, vampire and illegitimate son of Henry VIII, now living in the 20th century. Heck, I liked Barnabas Collins too. LOL But the plot involved calling up demons and I'm really not comfortable with that even in fiction. Not sure if I'll try another in the series.

And now for something completely different: W is for Wasted by Sue Grafton.

Last Edited on: 9/30/15 12:31 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 8:52 AM ET

Hooray Becky!  Good news about the ankle and glad to hear you like your new red transportation!  Una said it, no wheelies. wink

Una, I plant to read the pumpkin book this month,

And, Mary, I'm with you I really liked Barnabus.  I saw the very first episode and resented the fact that I had to go to work.  Before a recorder.  I don't like demons either.

I actually finished The Mushroom Man last night.  I wondered why I couldn't remember what I read before falling asleep.  Because I had read one page!  Last night I couldn't put it down.  Someone is killing priests and vicars.   

clariail avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 9:55 AM ET

Good morning!

I finished The Accidental Alchemist (Accidental Alchemist, Bk 1) :: Gigi Pandian last night. I have to say that I really enjoyed this book.  I had checked out the reviews on Goodreads and it had a lot of 1 and 2 star ratings but I give a 5 cause it drew me right in and I didn't want to put it down.

The MC is a non-practicing Alchemist who has eternal life, meaning she doesn't age but she can die.  She doesn't stay in one place very long because of the aging thing but moves to Portland cause it felt like home.  When unpacking some of her crates, she discovers a gargoyle who is alive and has come from France to seek her out to help him. The second day in her home, she goes out and returns to find the dead body of her contractor on her porch steps. 

The MC is also a vegan who has an affinity with plants.  The gargoyle, Dorian, loves to cook so he takes that part over.  Some of the bad reviews on Goodreads specifically mentioned too much talk of food but I didn't mind that part.  I'm not that familiar with the vegan diet so I thought it was interesting.  I also enjoyed learning a little bit more about alchemy since the only thing I know about it was turned metal into gold.  There is a second one in the series coming out in January so I am looking forward to it.

beanie5 avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 1:40 PM ET

Connie --- How is your husband doing???  I am sure you are a busy bee trying to take care of him, but I have been thinking of the two of you!!

Okay --- Home health --- I have a single person health insurance policy since I do not have a group and am not quite there for Medicare.  It is very expensive and has a $5700.00 deductible.  The home health co-pay is $250.00 per day.  Perhaps that is reasonable, I really do not know, but it is more than I am willing to pay when I only need someone here for perhaps 4 hours total in 24.  So I am back to having regular and church friends helping out when I need it.  The new walker has made such a difference I cannot even explain!!!  I even managed my own shower yesterday morning.  With one of those moulded plastic outdoor chairs in the shower there is really not much to it.  Thanking heaven for now that I am in this huge house with a huge shower, very wide hallways, etc.  Getting my leg into the garbage bag is the worst chore!!!

Started a new book in paper yesterday, "Trumpets Sound No More" by Jon Redfern.  It is a Victorian Detective story he wrote in 2007.  I only know of this one, as he wrote another in 2015, "Children of the Tide" which caught my interest.  Thus far I think I am enjoying it, but have only read a few pages, as I simply could not stay awake yesterday.  My whole shower, getting dressed, seeing the doc really wore me out!!!

skeetergirl avatar
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 3:41 PM ET

Cynthia...The Accidental Alchemist sounds fun...am putting it on my WL!!  I am in one of those "nothing is really appealing to me" moods.  Think I need some lighter stuff and some new authors!!

Started Entry Island/Peter May last night.  I liked his Lewis Trilogy.  This one is starting a bit slow, but really didn't get that far so shouldn't really comment yet!!

Becky...So glad you got your new walker and glad the doctor's news was good.  I remember when dh had his leg in a hip to ankle cast and trying to get a garbage bag wrapped around it!!  Someone should invent some sort of easy-to-get on waterproof cover for people with casts/boots.

mary2029 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 4:45 PM ET

Becky, I think $250/day is outrageous. When I was laid up from a car accident and needed help taking care of my mother, I was able to get someone for $20/hour. And that's here in Phoenix where I would guess the cost of living is higher than Wilmington.

I'm just over halfway through W is for Wasted, and I'm enjoying it more than the last couple of books in the series. The prologue starts with the deaths of two men. One of them was shot to death, and she knew from when she was an apprentice P.I. The other had her name and address in a slip of paper in his pocket when he died in his sleeping bag on the beach. She was called to the morgue to identify him, but had never seen him before. The latter mystery is more interesting, and I'm not sure whether there will be any connection between the two deaths. Of course, there's fun and games with her landlord Henry and his hypochondriac brother William.

vintagejoy avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 5:04 PM ET

Becky ~ great news on your x-ray!  Not so much for the home health, though.  Wow - what a price!  Glad to know you have church family and friends helping you out. 

Marla ~ I have the neatest thing to put over casts, etc. to take a shower.  It is a long thick plastic bag and at the end there is a kind of self-closing piece of rubber.  You put your leg through that top, it closes around your leg and you are ready to go. Never have had it leak and I've used it a lot.  :(   The problem is I have no idea where I got it from of even who makes it after all this time.

Finished "Purl Up and Die" by Maggie Sefton and actually I enjoyed it.  I had it all figured out about half way through, then at the end found I hadn't  figured it out at all!   I think Kelly, the MC who apparently is addicted to coffee in large quantities, should just get an IV drip and be done with it!  If it was me drinking all that coffee you'd have to scrape me off the ceiling and I would spend huge amounts of time in the bathroom.  :)  I've now started the third "Bookmobile Cat" book by Laurie Cass and am enjoying it right off the bat. 

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 5:24 PM ET

Becky - I too think that 250.00 per day is outrageous. If you can manage the way it seems you can, I would give that a try first. So glad to see your creative side when it comes to making "do" with the things you have. Those wheel-about walkers are a God-send! DH had to use one a couple of years ago and what a difference it made while he needed it!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 7:23 PM ET

Thankfully Medicare paid for my mom's Hospice care at $1250 per visit.  A nurse two days and a helper for one day.  What turned my toe nails was I had a nurse here two days, one when mom got home and the other two days later and I kid you not they didn't do a thing except ask her if she was in pain.  The helper came in and helped me move her up on her pillows.  She complained about the snow that wasn't shoveled at her other visits for the day.

Cynthia...The Accidental Alchemist sounds fun...am putting it on my WL!!  I am in one of those "nothing is really appealing to me" moods.  Think I need some lighter stuff and some new authors!!

Becky, I looked at my favorite store - Amazon.  I do believe this is what Joy was talking about

Seal Tight Freedom Cast and Bandage Protector, Best Watertight Protection, Adult Leg  About $12 

Finished Dead with the Wind / Miranda James.  Southern Ladies are visiting their cousin since her grand daughter is getting married.  Let's just say I figured out who was going to be killed early.  Who the killer was that was another thing.

Next the top book on the pile of just received, About a Vampire / Lynsay Sands

And, today was my six month visit to my eye guy - NO Changes!  Doing very well.  Hooray!!!

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 7:25 PM ET

Don't forget today is the end of September.   smiley

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 7:55 PM ET

Good for you Geri - a great visit to the eye doc. That's always important. My mother had wet macular degeneration and glaucoma so I'm religious about those eye doc visits and so far, so good!

Right now I seem to be in the "gruesome" mood - maybe because it's getting close to Halloween. Just checked this out of the library The Phantom Killer: Unlocking the Mystery of the Texarkana Serial Murders: The Story of a Town in Terror :: James Presley.

BTW, I met  Amber C.daisymau today! We met at the library and that's when I checked out the above book. Amber is a real sweetheart and I had an interesting visit with her. Such fun to meet people you only know online!!!

clariail avatar
Date Posted: 9/30/2015 10:52 PM ET

I can send out Accidental Alchemist to whomever would like to get it first and it can make the rounds if you would like. Just let me know who to send it to next.

geejay avatar
Geri (geejay) -
Date Posted: 10/1/2015 11:16 AM ET

New thread

Boo! It's October are you reading a spooky book?

clariail avatar
Date Posted: 10/1/2015 9:25 PM ET

FYI - I had two people ask for Accidental Alchemist.

Page: