|Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.|
I've heard some folks mention they were not aware that the Ten Commandments are stated in the New Testament so, thought I'd post them...
The Law of God in the New Testament
1. "Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve." Matthew 4:10.
2. "Little children, keep yourselves from idols." John 5:21. "Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device." Acts 17:29.
3. "That the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed." 1 Timothy 6:1.
4. "For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works." "There remaineth therefore a rest ["keeping of a sabbath," margin] to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his." Hebrews 4:4, 9, 10.
5. "Honour thy father and thy mother." Matthew 19:19.
6. "Thou shalt not kill." Romans 13:9.
7. "Thou shalt not commit adultery." Matthew 19:18.
8. "Thou shalt not steal." Romans 13:9.
9. "Thou shalt not bear false witness." Romans 13:9.
10. "Thou shalt not covet." Romans 7:7.
The Law of God in the Old Testament
1. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Exodus 20:3.
2. "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments." Exodus 20:4-6.
3. "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain." Exodus 20:7.
4. "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:8-11.
5. "Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee." Exodus 20:12.
6. "Thou shalt not kill." Exodus 20:13.
7. "Thou shalt not commit adultery." Exodus 20:14
8. "Thou shalt not steal." Exodus 20:15.
9. "Thou shalt not bear false winess against thy neighbour." Exodus 20:16.
10. "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's." Exodus 20:17.
ETA: I tried to format this so they were side by side and it messed everything up.
You are correct, Christy. In fact, Jesus himself gave another commandment in John 13:34 (KJV) "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another: as I have loved you."