Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Do You Think This is Fair - No Longer an Issue

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Do You Think This is Fair - No Longer an Issue
Date Posted: 10/14/2009 7:19 PM ET
Member Since: 7/31/2007
Posts: 2,693
Back To Top

I accepted a book request the other day and just pulled it out to wrap for mailing and noticed that my uncle's bird had nibbled on the edge of the dustjacket and just the tip of the book....this makes it unpostable.  I PM'd the requestor and let her know that I noticed the damage and since I didn't want to just dump the book I was going to go ahead and mail (the book is in great shape otherwise) and I'd buddy her back her credit if she wouldn't mark it RWAP.  If she puts it in writing that she won't RWAP I'll go ahead and buddy the credit or if she wants to wait until she receives it I'll do it then....

Now if she PM's before I mail and says she doesn't want it I'll gladly cancel....

Do you think this is fair?

Update: Well, the requestor thought this was a wonderful idea as she is only interested in reading the book.

Last Edited on: 10/16/09 7:37 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 10/14/2009 7:42 PM ET
Member Since: 1/17/2009
Posts: 9,916
Back To Top

It sounds fair to me. If it were me, I would be happy with your offer, but you never know .... she might just want a copy that hasn't been nibbled.

I can sympatize, my dog recently chewed half the cover off a paperback book that was heavily Wish Listed at the time, I was so annoyed......

Date Posted: 10/14/2009 7:43 PM ET
Member Since: 8/18/2005
Posts: 7,977
Back To Top

I think it's a bad habit to get into. You shouldn't really PM about damage and hope it's okay, but I can see you're willing to return the credit.

It would have been easier to just cancel the order, so you don't get her credit, and then PM her and ask her if she wanted the book anyway, for free. Then if she did want it then she can send you her addy. I've done that on swaps where I found on a second look the books wasn't up to standards. And then offered to send the book for free if they still wanted it. So far, I think everyone (out of three or so times) wanted the book.

Your way sounds a lot more complicated if you just wanted her to have the book free.

Date Posted: 10/14/2009 7:58 PM ET
Member Since: 4/25/2007
Posts: 11,539
Back To Top

If Christy cancels the order, it goes into the FIFO system and the requestor might not even realize.

Christy's offer sounds fair to me.  I'd do the same thing if I were in her position.

Date Posted: 10/14/2009 8:01 PM ET
Member Since: 8/18/2005
Posts: 7,977
Back To Top

If Christy cancels the order, it goes into the FIFO system and the requestor might not even realize.

Then no harm, no foul if the requestor still gets the book they want for a credit. The order may roll on and it may not. If they don't want the book for any reason, she'll still have the book to offer as a freebie on the Bazaar. As long as it goes to someone, and that's what she wants, then it should all be good.

Date Posted: 10/14/2009 8:03 PM ET
Member Since: 8/16/2007
Posts: 15,201
Back To Top

I would not mail an unpostable nor mark it mailed without the other person's consent. She may not want to agree to the arrangement  and its unfair to force her to accept it by taking away the option to just have it cancelled and her request transferred to the next person with a postable copy.

Date Posted: 10/15/2009 6:57 AM ET
Member Since: 6/26/2006
Posts: 599
Back To Top

She will lose her first place in FIFO if you mail the book before she answers.  Then she is stuck with an unpostable copy and going to the end of the WL line if she wants a postable or keeper copy.  Although generous of you to offer it for free, I would not mail it without a previous OK or she may easily mark it RWAP for receiving an unpostable book.  She would be in the right by PBS rules and you would still have to return the credit anyways. Cindy R's advice is best.

Date Posted: 10/15/2009 9:48 AM ET
Member Since: 6/20/2007
Posts: 4,979
Back To Top

I didn't see where Christy said that this was a WL book.  I got the impression that it was an order off of her shelf.

Anyway, I see nothing wrong with what Christy offered.  She is offering to still send the book for free if the requestor wants it, or Christy can cancel if the requestor doesn't want it.  I see no problem either way. 

FWIW, I've had a few times where a book I had posted was discovered to have some damage when I checked it again before wrapping to ship.  Once in a blue moon I will something before posting.  I have always sent the requestor a PM offering a free book of their choice from my shelf along with the damaged book if they so chose, or I would cancel the order.  I let it be the requestor's choice.  I gave a deadline; if I didn't receive their reply before the deadline I would cancel the order.

Date Posted: 10/15/2009 10:38 AM ET
Member Since: 9/13/2007
Posts: 2,520
Back To Top

The only part I have a problem with is the "If she PM's before I mail I will cancel". That sounds like a good way to get an RWAP. It isn't a good idea to send off an unpostable to someone who may not want it, even if you are going to buddy the credit back anyway. As we have seen from other posts on this board, some people don't want unpostables they didn't ask for. If you don't hear back from the requestor I would cancel the the order. Save yourself a possible RWAP. I can understand not wanting to toss it, but make sure it goes to someone who doesn't mind getting an unpostable, otherwise it may just end up in the recycling anyway.

Date Posted: 10/15/2009 12:10 PM ET
Member Since: 5/18/2007
Posts: 13,203
Back To Top

I would have simply canceled the book. And if she doesn't respond then I would still cancel, I wouldn't just send. 

Date Posted: 10/16/2009 5:48 PM ET
Member Since: 7/7/2007
Posts: 4,815
Back To Top

I have to agree with Liesl -- this is a good way to end up with an RWAP on your account, even if you do return the credit.  The book is damaged; cancel the transaction and make the book available via the usual methods for damaged/unpostable items.


Date Posted: 10/16/2009 6:16 PM ET
Member Since: 5/14/2009
Posts: 6,852
Back To Top

I agree with Elizabeth and Liesl - RWAP waiting to happen.  Don't get me wrong- I think what you are doing is very nice.  I would PM the member and explain the situation.  I would offer to cancel the order and send it on as a non-postable.  I did this once and the member actually ordered a different book from my shelf and then I included the book as a non-postable.  I would definitely cancel the transaction, if she ends up responding yes, then send it on , if not then no harm done.  Good Luck