Skip to main content
PBS logo

Search - Thread and Dead (Apron Shop, Bk 2)

Thread and Dead (Apron Shop, Bk 2)
Thread and Dead - Apron Shop, Bk 2
Author: Elizabeth Penney
Iris Buckley is busier than ever this July, with the town’s annual Lobster Festival fast approaching. In just a matter of days her apron shop Ruffles & Bows, will be jam-packed with tourists eager to lay eyes on its world-class collection of aprons and linens -- €•and Iris’s inventory is running low. Then, just when all hope se...  more »
ISBN-13: 9781250257970
ISBN-10: 1250257972
Publication Date: 8/25/2020
Pages: 320
Rating:
  • Currently 3.8/5 Stars.

3.8 stars, based on 4 ratings
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks
Book Type: Mass Market Paperback
Members Wishing: 2
Reviews: Member | Amazon | Write a Review
Read All 1 Book Reviews of "Thread and Dead Apron Shop Bk 2"

Please Log in to Rate these Book Reviews

reviewed Thread and Dead (Apron Shop, Bk 2) on + 1528 more book reviews
Thread and Dead by Elizabeth Penney is the 2nd book in The Apron Shop Series. It can be read as a standalone for those who have not indulged in Hems and Homicide. I thought this cozy mystery was well-written with developed characters. I enjoyed the author's descriptions of Blueberry Cove, Maine. She brought the city alive with her vivid word imagery of the shops, people, the boats, the cliffs, and the ocean. I like the cast of strong female characters in this series. Iris Buckley is a friendly and intelligent woman who loves vintage items. Iris co-owns Ruffles and Bows with her grandmother, Anne Buckley. They also share a farmhouse nearby. I like the close relationship Iris and her Grammie share. Iris has close female friends in Sophie, Madison, and Bella. It is great how they are there for each other and have women's nights that include Grammie. Eleanor Brady was a delightful addition. She is a lively woman for her age with a mischievous sparkle in her eye. Her nephew, Craig is a bully who thinks only of himself. I am glad that Eleanor has good friends to watch out for her. The death of Hailey Piper has multiple suspects. It could be a local or someone with the Farming the Sea project. There are good clues to aid the reader in solving this multifarious mystery. The second mystery involves Eleanor's mother, Claudia de Witte. Eleanor's mother worked as a nursemaid, but she had designer clothing. Both mysteries were entertaining. I did feel that the first half of the book was a little slow. There seemed to be more eating and chatting than sleuthing. That soon changed as the action ramped up. The Apron Shop Series is character driven. The great characters are what draw the reader in. I just love the descriptions of the vintage bed linens, aprons, and clothes. I collect vintage aprons, so I was drooling over the trunk of aprons Iris scored for Ruffles and Bows. I cannot wait to read Bodies and Bows in the spring. Thread and Dead is a charming cozy mystery with antique aprons, comfort cuisine, a mysterious mother, sprouting seaweed, classic couture clothes, and Lobster Festival fun.

Genres: