Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Torn book covers

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Subject: Torn book covers
Date Posted: 2/17/2017 1:30 PM ET

I know that this has been discussed before, and I can't find anything in the help center, so am asking how long can a tear be in a book cover. I think at one time it was 1", but seems to me it's been raised to 2 or 2 1/2"?  Thanks. Pat

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 2/17/2017 2:22 PM ET

Cover:

• Must both be present (front and back)
    • note that a paperback missing its front cover is  usually an illegal, unsold copy
    • "cover" does not = dust jacket.  Hardcovers do not need to include their dust jackets to be swapped here.
  • Cover not water damaged (there may be no water damage to any part of the book)
  • Cover not significantly torn, or chewed/gnawed at all
    • some used book stores cut out a small part of the cover; if the amount missing is less than 1 square inch, this is OKAY
    • a small rip (less than 1.5 inches) in the cover is OKAY
    • yes, that does say "chewed/gnawed" above.  That means no pet-chewed (or human-chewed) books.
  • A bookplate inside the cover or on the flyleaf is OKAY
Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 2/17/2017 2:28 PM ET

Thanks. Pat

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 2/18/2017 7:30 PM ET

Mu pet peeve is when the covers are ripped more than 1.5 and the person tapes them together. I've received 3 books where one, the back cover was taped, clear tape around the spine and front cover. The actual back cover had ripped almost off. The other 2 were taping the covers but both had tape on the inside page. At that point, don't trade it.