Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: In transit, delayed?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
kmc1987 avatar
Limited Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: In transit, delayed?
Date Posted: 8/25/2015 11:45 AM ET

Anybody ever get this message?  This is the first time it has happened to me.  I am in Ohio and I have a book coming from Florida.  It was in Orlando for 5 days before it gave me this message.  Right now its in Michigan.  Was just wondering if anybody knew what the delay could be from?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/25/2015 3:32 PM ET

in my experience that message usually happens when the mail goes awry. It is delayed because it is going the long way home. If you check the mail tracking gizmo that shows scans for the package near the top of the screen is an estimated day of arrival. If the package is not going to make that estimate you might get a delay scan. They don't always use that delay scan.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/25/2015 7:17 PM ET

This might be something sort of new (within the past few months or so) that USPS is doing as I had never seen the delayed in transit message until a few months ago.

IIRC, the few that I've seen this on tracking were because of being misdirected or otherwise taking longer than normal USPS estimates to get delivered.

fangrrl avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 8/26/2015 2:32 AM ET

Does your package appear to be following the normal route of sorting hubs for your area?  If not, it could be an oddball stamp for 'mis-sent'...although we are sometimes seeing a specific scan for that situation.  But some units have different scans (old software?).

Comes to mind that this could be a designation for weather or emergency postal closure.

kmc1987 avatar
Limited Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/26/2015 4:47 PM ET

I'm not sure what happened.  But I received one of the books today.  Now I'm waiting on 5 more that seem to be taking longer than usual.