Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Tricky question

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Tricky question
Date Posted: 5/2/2011 7:42 PM ET
Member Since: 4/20/2009
Posts: 519
Back To Top

What is the correct way to handle this?  I ordered a book on 4-2. It ways marked mailed on 4-5 . Electronic postage label says mailed 4-7.  Not scanned in at origination PO until 4-29.  PBS marked it lost on 5-1.  Received on 5-2, but ----- it is an unpostable. The spine is almost completely seperated from the cover.  THe only thing holding the book is the 2 pages glued to the cover on the front & back.  So how do I mark this please?

Last Edited on: 5/2/11 7:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 5/2/2011 8:13 PM ET
Member Since: 1/15/2007
Posts: 1,410
Back To Top

You need to mark the book received.  If it is a RWAP (received with a problem) mark it as such.


Is this a hardcover?  Could it be a hollow (or case) binding?



There are some better pictures/descriptions out there.  I'll go hunt.

The link below shows a drawing comparing the tight and hollow back.



ETA:  My go-to picture isn't loading, but figures 7, 8 & 10 are below are examples


Last Edited on: 5/2/11 8:29 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Date Posted: 5/2/2011 8:28 PM ET
Member Since: 8/16/2007
Posts: 15,220
Back To Top

You would need to go by the post date on the package - the electronic postage. Scans do not represent postmarks. So you would need to go into your Transaction Archive and mark it received.

I am with NewRuth on the binding. Without seeing what you have, your description does not necessarily describe a damaged book. Many hard covers I see are really only attached by those first and last pages being glued to the cover with the center flexing inside unattached to the cover .

Date Posted: 5/2/2011 8:39 PM ET
Member Since: 1/17/2009
Posts: 10,125
Back To Top

I've had some paperback computer books with that same type of binding (don't know if they call it the same thing when it is a paperback).

It is a higher quality binding.

Date Posted: 5/2/2011 8:59 PM ET
Member Since: 4/20/2009
Posts: 519
Back To Top

The book has that type of binding, but it is pulled away from the "tape".  I'm trying to load a picture of it now, but not having much luck yet.


Thanks for the replies.

Last Edited on: 5/2/11 9:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 1