Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Turtleback

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: Turtleback
Date Posted: 8/9/2010 11:58 PM ET
Member Since: 1/15/2008
Posts: 204
Back To Top

I was browsing books and I notice that some books are described turtlebacks rather than paperback or hard cover. What is a turtleback book?

Date Posted: 8/10/2010 12:07 AM ET
Member Since: 8/15/2007
Posts: 3,044
Back To Top

According to a Google search it's a library bound book at a trade paperback price.

Date Posted: 8/10/2010 1:52 AM ET
Member Since: 6/4/2007
Posts: 2,941
Back To Top

I've got some turtlebacks, they're the size of a regular paperback, but with a hardcover that has the picture from the paperback for it's cover.  Libraries use them because of the increased durability.  Sometimes books like this are instead called permabound.  They're basically glorified, rebound paperbacks, but I think they're awesome.

Date Posted: 8/10/2010 4:30 PM ET
Member Since: 12/28/2006
Posts: 14,177
Back To Top

That's the term I had heard Jimi..."professionally" rebound for greater durability.

Date Posted: 8/16/2010 4:05 AM ET
Member Since: 5/25/2009
Posts: 602
Back To Top

They are usually ex-library books. I haven't been that impressed with them, but what I have found is that quality varies WIDELY depending on what company rebound it. 

Date Posted: 8/19/2010 2:26 PM ET
Member Since: 4/2/2007
Posts: 6,042
Back To Top

It's usually a paperback that has been rebound with solid, hard covers. Once rebound with hard covers, they're used in classrooms and last longer than paperbacks. "Permabound" is one company that does it. The book is usually marked on the back of the book by the company that rebound the book.

Date Posted: 8/20/2010 4:13 PM ET
Member Since: 7/13/2005
Posts: 5,201
Back To Top

I thought it was a shirt with a high foldover collar - oh wait, that's a turtleNECK!wink