Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Money Saving Tips Money Saving Tips

Topic: All those unused lipsticks that aren't the right color....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
KrisC avatar
Subject: All those unused lipsticks that aren't the right color....
Date Posted: 12/10/2011 3:57 PM ET

I have an issue with red and pink lipsticks. I buy them and then they look fuschia on me or so bright that I could be a stoplight. I've got lipglosses up the wazoo and they are usually too sparkly for my age or too pale and frosty.  I'm a member on another board and someone posted the greatest tip!!!

Take a snack size baggie and break off some of the lipstick into it. Microwave for a few seconds, maybe once or twice depending, until it's liquid. Add a lipgloss that you think will mix well.  Squish together and keep adding more lipgloss and lipstick until you have the color you want.  Cut of the corner of the baggie, very tiny hole, and then squeeze the mixture into a cleaned out lipgloss tube. You now have the perfect color!!!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/15/2011 2:21 PM ET

Hi Kris,

I bought a "Lipstix Remix" kit after seeing it profiled on that Shark Tank tv show.  (Cool thing was there was a buy one get one free promotion; I sold the second kit on ebay so made mine nearly free!).  It works the same way, combining lipstick colors, microwaving, then filling the lipstick mold/tubes that come with the kit.  This has been a fantastic way to use those lipstick colors that don't look quite right when applied.  My favorite lipstick is one that I made using three unwanted lipsticks (colors looked great in the tube, but not on me!).  Definitely better than throwing out unwanted colors and a great way to experiment with new colors from those accumulated unwanted lipsticks!

michecox avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 1/27/2012 7:57 AM ET

I've found that lipstick makes a great creamy blush as well. Just make sure your face is well moisturized, and make a few little dots (about 3) along each cheekbone, and blend with your fingertips. It gives a nice natural flush.

BookwormMary avatar
Date Posted: 2/17/2012 5:11 PM ET

My mom used to do this, too!  She says a brownish shade mixed in with too-bright reds or pinks does a good job of toning things down.

MaryF