Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: I give up

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: I give up
Date Posted: 11/20/2008 10:52 AM ET
Member Since: 6/30/2006
Posts: 2,303
Back To Top

What IS a "turtleback" binding?

Date Posted: 11/20/2008 11:14 AM ET
Member Since: 2/5/2007
Posts: 30,805
Back To Top

I ordered a book with that binding  from here once and don't know how to explain it but this is what I found on the net and it's what I got.

I believe that this is when you take a paperback and affix some form of cardboard stock to the endpapers to make it more durable, like a sort of semi-hardbound edition. I've also seen this done a bit more elaborately, where the covers have been removed and pasted, sometimes under laminate, to a much sturdier binding. These are often found in libraries, especially in school libraries on popular fiction most commonly (and cheaply) found in softcover editions. Hence 'turtleback', because a shell has been placed over the otherwise soft & relatively squishy innards of a paperback.

Last Edited on: 11/20/08 11:14 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 11/20/2008 11:33 AM ET
Member Since: 6/30/2006
Posts: 2,303
Back To Top

hmm... see, that is not what I was thinking.

What I was thinking was kind of like a spiral binding with a hard (shell) cover.

Thanks, Cozi

Date Posted: 11/21/2008 12:05 AM ET
Member Since: 6/25/2008
Posts: 101
Back To Top

Wow, I was just wondering this yesterday, when I saw one on Amazon described that way.  Didn't think to ask here...y'all are so darn helpful!

Date Posted: 11/21/2008 8:39 AM ET
Member Since: 8/27/2007
Posts: 3,326
Back To Top

Cozette is correct.  They are also called "rebound" because they have been "bound again." Most commonly done to MMPB that see heavy use in libraries.  Usually it's done to books that were never issued in a hardcover version.

Remember the books that all libraries had that were solid colored covers with only the name printed on the spine? Many of those were re-bound editions designed to have a longer life in a library than a regular hardcover or paperback.  When they discovered that children were a lot more likely to choose a book with a colorful cover, they changed the re-binding method to include the original cover.  Sometimes they look like they are photocopied onto a hardcover, sometimes they look like they are encased as a layer in a laminate.

Sianeka - ,
Date Posted: 11/21/2008 2:38 PM ET
Member Since: 2/8/2007
Posts: 6,630
Back To Top

I received a turtleback edition of a foreign language dictionary that had plastic type cover instead of paper cover...