Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: WL flux

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
katewisdom avatar
Subject: WL flux
Date Posted: 1/25/2017 5:01 PM ET

My WL seems to be fluctuating strangely. Here we go:

• I was at 500 a few days ago
  • got a WL offer (accepted and it's now on it's way)
  • added 1 from Reminder List
  • WL shows 501 (WL offer was accepted on both ends)
  • checked today, WL shows 500
  • deleted 4 books
  • tried adding 4 Reminder List books, 4th was declined because it would put me over 500 (should not have)

I mean, obviously the thing to do would be to contact TPtB, although I'm kind of afraid to do so before copying down my list just-in-case they fix the error in a non-fixing sort of way, but I thought I'd see if anyone else is having some trouble with this.

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/25/2017 5:13 PM ET

Do you happen to have two of the exact same book wishlisted? This has happened to me before where there is a glitch and the exact same ISBN is on there twice. I just deleted one of them.

ETA: Renee, you have one ISBN listed 3 times on your wishlist. 9781421569147

Last Edited on: 1/25/17 5:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Cathy avatar
Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 1/25/2017 5:21 PM ET

When you checked today and saw 500 items, is there any chance your list was sorted by author? You may have one book that has no author and doesn't appear in the list when it's sorted that way. If that's the case, you actually had 501 items before you did the delete and add. 

edit: nevermind. I just looked at your WL and I see there are a lot of books with no author. If you saw anything close to 500, you must not have been sorted that way.

Last Edited on: 1/25/17 5:22 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
katewisdom avatar
Date Posted: 1/25/2017 5:30 PM ET

Cathy: I usually sort by Title, but now that you say that I'm wondering if I sorted by Date today. I tried sorting by Title and by Date just now though and both give me 500.

Rebecca: I'm not sure what's up with ISBN 9781421569147. I did recently add that one, but I think it should only be 1. Thank you for nailing where the bulk of the weird is happening!

rebeccam avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 1/25/2017 6:52 PM ET

It has happened to me a bunch of times. We shouldn't be able to add the same ISBN more than once. But glad you got it figured out.

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 1/26/2017 10:40 AM ET

Not long ago, I was facing the same situation and discovered 3 books that were on my WL 3 times...obviously a hiccup in the system. In the past when this has happened I've asked PBS to remove the extra wished for books but this time on one of the books I was wishing for, I was the only wisher and discovered that I CAN remove the extra wished for books myself and still maintain my place in the WL queue. This has happened to me about 3 times in my nearly 10 years here.

charliedog avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 1/29/2017 12:47 PM ET

After reading these posts I checked my wish list.  I usually have it set to search by author, but changed it to title.  I found one book listed three times and another five times!!  I am sure I didn't add them.  I guess that's something else we will have to check regularly.

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 1/30/2017 10:33 AM ET

Speaking of flux, I have been offered 6 books on my WL plus 2 my daughter had on my WL.  8 WL  offeres in less than a month!  That's the most i've had in several years. Plus got several she needed for her lit and history classes at FSU.

Plus I have mailed out 9 books this month, my average is usually 4 per month.  So I have had a ton of 'business' here this month. Don't know if it's an increase just after the holiday slowdown or what.