Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: WLed book I posted still not requested

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
soelo avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: WLed book I posted still not requested
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 3:28 PM ET

First, I'm not complaining about this as I understand the system, just curious as to how often this happens. I posted a large print version of New Moon on 2-17 which had 20 members wishing. It went to Wish List Hold immediately and has been rolling through users ever since. I think it is on its ninth or tenth person today. The number of members wishing is down to 16 now.

My question is: What is the longest you remember having a bookshelf book on Wish List Hold?

NewRuth avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 4:12 PM ET

I seem to remember one that was close to a week before it was accepted. 

dmouse097 avatar
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 4:35 PM ET

Oddly enough, this sort of thing has been happening a lot to me this past week or so.  A lot of people ran out of credits at the same time or something?  I've had at least 3 books roll through multiple people in the last week after I posted them, and 2 more that waited 48 hours and then back to the shelf...

tabbyannabel avatar
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 4:56 PM ET

Sarah,

It could be that when that book came out people WL'd all versions of that book, PB, HB, and LP in the hopes that they would receive it through one of those versions.  Perhaps they got it on PB or are close to receiving it in PB and have decided not to get it in LP as they most likely will be able to swap a PB book easier.  Just my opinion! :-)

soelo avatar
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 5:39 PM ET

Yeah, I figured the LP verson is not posted often so lots of the wishes are old or just not as desired. So, if it has been through nine people (on its tenth right now) and there are 4 fewer wishers, that means five of them did not have credits and didn't buy one in time, right?

dmouse097 avatar
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 5:50 PM ET
Or some more people added it to their wl after you posted it.
melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 6:00 PM ET

If you've went through 10 people, then they would be gone from the count - either having had to accept it or have it removed from their wish list. So, as Michael said, more people have added it to their WL or some of the people who had it removed came back and got into the back of the line again.

I think you probably take the badge for the longest Wish List roll over I've ever seen. That is (sadly) quite impressively long for a book to go without anyone wanting it. Most people's brains would have been swirling with impatience by now.

CozSnShine avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 6:06 PM ET

One of the first wish list books I ever posted went through 12 people.  Of course, I was so new I thought that was normal!  lol

Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 6:18 PM ET

It seems like the  majority of WL books that I post right to FIFO go through at least 1 person before being accepted.  But it's not usually more than 1.  I did have 1 go through 7 people one time.  I had 1 that I posted and then put my account hold.  (I keep my account on vacation a lot to help control postage costs).  It timed out on that person and it went on my shelf on hold again.  I see it has 1 wisher again and take it off hold-same person.  It again times out!  This time I left my account off hold until someone else was able to request it so I wouldn't have to sit and wait for this person to let it time out a 3rd time.

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 6:36 PM ET

Most wish list books I post these days do go through a number of people before getting requested, but usually it is requested within a week and a half. Patience is a virtue here at PBS but it does get frustrating sometimes!

dordale avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 8:32 PM ET

I guess I've been lucky!  Almost all the wishlist books I've posted lately have been requested by the first wisher.  Sarah--I hope your wishlist book gets picked up soon--that's got to be a little frustrating!!

soelo avatar
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 10:08 PM ET

"If you've went through 10 people, then they would be gone from the count - either having had to accept it or have it removed from their wish list."

If you are first in line for a WL book but don't have any credits, does it get removed from your WL or are you just passed over after 48 hours keeping your place in line? The one time I remember it happening to me, I think I bought a credit since I really wanted the book. Luckily I am not too frustrated by it since I have other credits right now. Just amazed it has been this long!

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 3/8/2011 10:29 PM ET

If you are first in line for a WL book but don't have any credits, does it get removed from your WL or are you just passed over after 48 hours keeping your place in line?

The only time you would get passed and remain in the Wish List is if the book was on Auto-Request-Yes and your Bookshelf was on Vacation Hold or if you had the Book on Individual Hold on your Wish List. Otherwise you would need to request the book or have the book removed from your Wish List. On the 48 hour hold, you'd have to accept within 48 hours or the request is cancelled. If you have it on Auto-Request without credits (but do not have your shelf on Vacation) it would be converted to a 48 hour hold.

soelo avatar
Date Posted: 3/14/2011 2:39 PM ET

It's been through three more people since I first posted this and still no takers! There are now only 14 members wishing.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/14/2011 2:51 PM ET

That might be a record. It wouldn't suprise me is some of those that it timed out on are now in line again. 

thekoose avatar
Date Posted: 3/14/2011 3:15 PM ET

Oh for pete's sake!  That is crazy. 

Maybe all these people did not realize it was the LARGE PRINT version when they wished it, and then they are all canceling now.

thekoose avatar
Date Posted: 3/14/2011 3:17 PM ET

So you are up to 13 people turned it down now!!surprise

soelo avatar
Date Posted: 3/23/2011 8:49 PM ET

Believe it or not it is still on Wish List Hold! Tomorrow at noon it will roll over again, to what must be the 17th or 18th person. The number of wishers is down to 10 now.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/23/2011 10:15 PM ET

I posted a WL book yesterday that has 54 waiting. I know thats not very long but, I only go out about once a week to mail ( becauce I dont drive due to a disability) and had planned to mail today becauce I have two packages to send out. So I;ll mail tomorrow instead. If it gets accepted I'll take it if not it will have to wait until next week.

I'm kicking myself in the butt becauce I should have put in the the forum for WL books.

Spuddie avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/24/2011 8:29 AM ET

I am guessing what happened here is that when New Moon first came out, people wishlisted every single version of it that was available to wishlist. Not many people actually read the Large Print version, and since that book was so popular, people got the regular hardcover or paperback version through the wishlist relatively quickly even if they were #500 in line to start with. It's possible that the LP version is just a 'leftover' on their wishlists, probably from mostly inactive people.

I have been having good luck lately--post a wishlisted book and it's accepted by the first person within just a few hours. Of course, about half the time I'm declining because of various RCs attached to them, but at least they aren't just cycling through due to declines. As with everything related to PBS though, it's cyclical...once I post a WL'd book that cycles through several people before getting a taker, it seems like there will be several in a row like that.

Cheryl

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/24/2011 11:33 AM ET

I posted a book on 12/27 that didn't get requested until 1/15 - that's about the longest I've ever waited on one.

riahekans avatar
Date Posted: 3/24/2011 2:15 PM ET

Oh Gosh, Sarah! I can't believe this!

Well hopefully one of these people will accept soon.

Last Edited on: 3/24/11 2:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
melanied avatar
Date Posted: 3/24/2011 4:18 PM ET

That is really insane. And odd that the wisher count is not going down as fast as it should be with all those people you are cleaning out of the front of the line.

megt avatar
Date Posted: 3/24/2011 8:39 PM ET

I hate when that happens.  Sometimes I will hold a WL book and post it when I get another book requested and therefore will be making a PO run.  Sometimes it gets picked right up then other times it will sit.......

soelo avatar
Date Posted: 4/2/2011 4:40 PM ET

It was down to 3 wishers on Friday and today it went back to my bookshelf! Imagine that, 20 original wishers and no takers. I had that happen with another Large Print book that had only 2 wishers, but 20 is surprising.

Page: