Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Classic Literature

Topic: What is your book for March?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Subject: What is your book for March?
Date Posted: 3/11/2013 1:04 PM ET

I've finished The House of Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne, which I found to be a tough read, but an interesting tale.  Hawthorne's writing style is cumbersome for me.  I decided to put The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins on my classics reading challenge.  What a fascinating read but why should that surprise me. I loved The Moonstone.  Wonderful read!  Why did I put it off so long?  And, I guess it would fit the ghost story category and Gables can move back to the movie category.  Next I'll tackle Tinker, Tailor, Solder, Spy by John LeCarre.

Last Edited on: 3/25/13 10:17 AM ET - Total times edited: 7
Generic Profile avatar
Member of the Month medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/11/2013 3:03 PM ET

For  Classic Non-Fiction title I'm reading a travel narrative from 1888, Travels in Arabia Deserta by Charles M. Doughty. The language is extremely mannered and sophisticated, about as High Victorian as one can get, as influenced by the Elizabethan's Greatest Hits: the Bard, Kit Marlowe, and the King James Version.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/12/2013 12:38 AM ET

I recently read Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy as part of my "1001 books you must read before you die" reading. I found an online glossary helpful for understanding some of the lingo. 

Good luck; I thought it was a good book after settling in. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/12/2013 5:32 AM ET

For the less famous work by a famous author category, I'm going to read Nathaniel Hawthorne's A Blithesdale Romance.

I want to re-read The House of Seven Gables eventually. It's been decades since my first read.

Rose

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/16/2013 5:42 PM ET

I started Charles Dickens' The Pickwick Papers today for the travel writing category.

drw avatar
Date Posted: 3/27/2013 9:28 PM ET

I just finished The Turn of the Screw after reading a ficiton book about the life of writer Henry James.  I had read it 40+ years ago when I was in college and still find the writing style to be convoluted and difficult.  Not sure what is next for me.