Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: What to do--Book question

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: What to do--Book question
Date Posted: 7/1/2009 9:43 PM ET
Member Since: 7/12/2008
Posts: 1,181
Back To Top

I was offered a WL book (#3 in a series of cozies I've started reading) and I immediately accepted. At the time I put it on my WL, there were no copies in the system, but I was the only wisher.

n the meantime, I had ordered #2, which was in the system, and it was offered to me throught FIFO. The #3 book order was accepted by the member, who plans to mail it in the next few days.

The #2 book is still waiting for the member to respond. When I look at the shelf of the person who is sending me #3, to see if I want to "Order More from Member" I note that she, too, has #2. I'd like to order it from her, so she can get the points and also save on shipping. Should I e-mail her, tell her to wait on shipping #3 so I can order #2 from her in case the original #2 person doesn't respond?

Or do I cancel the order for #2 and then re-order from the owner of #3.

Or do I just wait, let her send #3 and then if the original #2 owner doesn't respond, order from her or let FIFO handle it. That means another potential member holding #2 might get my request, meaning I'd have to wait again.

I tried to order her copy, but the system wouldn't let me because I already had an order pending for #2. I was even willing to have 2 copies of #2, figuring I could always repost it if I had to.

Have I totally confused everyone? Sorry. I want to do the right thing, but I'd like to read the books in order and wish I had known the owner of #3 had #2 before ordering it through the system.


Cathy A. (Cathy) - ,
Date Posted: 7/1/2009 10:01 PM ET
Member Since: 12/27/2005
Posts: 4,150
Back To Top

If you have a cancel button on book #2, go ahead and cancel and then reorder it from the sender of book #3. If you don't have a cancel button, I'd just leave things as they are. The system will find a copy of book #2 for you if the current sender doesn't follow through.

Date Posted: 7/1/2009 10:25 PM ET
Member Since: 8/16/2007
Posts: 15,221
Back To Top

If #2 is still waiting on the member and there's not been a label printed, I'd cancel that and request the book directly from the person with #3. The person with your request for #2 is first in line so their copy should be ordered soon by someone else and everyone understands the saving postage thing.

Date Posted: 7/1/2009 11:42 PM ET
Member Since: 12/9/2007
Posts: 9,601
Back To Top

First check with the person with #3 because they may have already printed their label.  Then she'll have to figure out how to handle that.


Date Posted: 7/1/2009 11:52 PM ET
Member Since: 7/12/2008
Posts: 1,181
Back To Top

Thanks, all! I'll let you know how it goes.

Date Posted: 7/2/2009 9:13 AM ET
Member Since: 8/23/2007
Posts: 26,510
Back To Top

You can tell if the label has been printed by looking on your Books I've Requested screen.  There's no need to PM.