Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: What is your Favorite Audio Book?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
eclecticreader10 avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2014 4:37 PM ET

I listened to a sample of the Billy Crystall audio and it had a laugh track.  Does the whole book have that laugh track? I've hestitated to use one of my audbile credits because of that.

schnappy avatar
Date Posted: 8/27/2014 10:51 PM ET

I just finished the best audiobook I've ever listened to.  Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.  Narrated perfectly by Wil Wheaton.  I loved it so much that I immediately listened to it again after reading it.  It was the most pure fun I've had reading in years.

Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 8/28/2014 6:06 AM ET

A laugh track!!  I can't even imagine that.  UGH!

Jaime, can you tell us a bit about the book, or why you loved it so much? 

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 7/30/2015 7:35 AM ET

I've listened to a lot of audios but got away from posting here.  There doesn't seem to be that much interest anymore.

I just finished a quick, very good audio.  Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands by Chris Bohjalian, read by his daughter Grace Brewer.  The story, which follows a teen after a nuclear reactor meltdown in northern Vermont.  Being the daughter of the man accused of the accident, she takes to the streets and we follow her travails through drugs (not really a lot of drug use), and survival as a homeless teen.  He does a good job with her, never overplays anything or uses gimmicks for shock value. 

Grace Brewer is amazingly good as Emily.  Hard to believe this is her first performance.

I also listened to Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline and read by Jessica Almasy, Suzanne Toren.

I really did enjoy this book, but oh, those narrators really grated on my eaers.  They each have this harsh, nasally, very childish voice.  But the story was worth it for me.

maysied avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2015 6:47 PM ET

OK, as a die-hard fantasy buff, first I'd say - anything by David Eddings.  But, I also enjoyed Outlander tremendously.  I admit that accent of the narrator became annoying after 25 hours...but she did a magnificent job.  As enjoyment goes, I loved the Iron Druid series, and Sookie was worth a thumbs up.

Judye / maysied

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 8/28/2015 11:32 AM ET

Haha, Judye, I had a helluva time with Davina Porter's Outlander narration.  She has a much older, and seriously harsher voice than I expected for
Claire, and it is told in first person.  But I finished listening.  However, I could not get very far listening to Dragonfly in Amber due to that voice.  She reminds me too much of Barbara Rosenblatt who I cannot listen to.

Just finished The Supremes at Earl's All You Can Eat and absolutely loved everything about it.  Drama, nonsense, human bonding, a slew of ghosts, and lots of love, this book has more heart than anything I've read in a long time.  Great narrators.  Highly recommend.

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 10/21/2015 9:05 AM ET

Same Sun Here by Silas House & Neela Vaswani, which is listed as a YA but great for adults also.  Letters between 2 penpals, a boy from Appalachia and an Indian girl living in NYC.

The Martian by Andy Weir.  The science of it all matters not at all in the reading.  It is a page-turning, funny book.

Roses723 avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/28/2015 4:52 AM ET

Shawshank Redemption - Stephen King. An oldie but it was great to listen to this time 'round.

bears1 avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/3/2015 9:32 AM ET

Sing You Home by Jodi Piccoult

godsfarmgirl avatar
Subject: My Reading Life (Pat Conroy)
Date Posted: 11/29/2015 9:01 PM ET

LOVED this in audio! Conroy is the narrator, so he lends emphasis, etc., where he knows it belongs.

I'm not one to re-read books (there are too many to that time for that!), but I re-listen to this one every now and then. I love to listen to him talk about books. :)

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 11/30/2015 9:38 AM ET

Janie, not audio, but I just picked up his "cookbook & memories" at a library sale, and am enjoying it more than his fiction.  Maybe I'll look for this.

onthesamepaige avatar
Date Posted: 12/11/2015 6:22 PM ET

I like humorous memoirs and essays read by the authors themselves. It feels like they are talking just to me.

My favorites are:

Bossypants :: Tina Fey

Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto ::Chuck Klosterman 

Assassination Vacation :: Sarah Vowell

and anything read by David Sedaris.

I feel that Sedaris' dry humor is helped by hearing him read it himself. I also love when Neil Gaiman reads his own work. Such a storyteller. My fiance listens to many more audiobooks than I do, and he will listen to anything (even a book he's not interested in) if it is read by Jim Dale.

Last Edited on: 12/11/15 6:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
corlyssa avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Excellent Audio Books (family appropriate)
Date Posted: 3/29/2016 12:41 AM ET

I love audio books I can listen to in the car that are enjoyable for the whole family. The narrator of the Harry Potter series (Jim Dale) is AMAZING and has won awards. We just recently listed to another that was excellent called Out of My Mind. What other family friendly books have excellent narration? 

Generic Profile avatar
mishelves - ,
Date Posted: 3/29/2016 2:10 PM ET

Katherine Kellgren's recording of Maryrose Wood’s The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place. Make sure to listen to them in order. I recommend all her recordings, but the Incorrigible Children is exceptionally wonderful. Be sure to listen to them in order, as they mount up with clues.  For exciting thrillers, David Pittu, who does the 39 Clues and other books. And everything I've listened to by Full Cast Audio/Bruce Coville was lots of fun.  Some other well known children's writers are part of his group, such as Tamora Pierce. Children/YA audio books are a longtime interest of mine so I am glad to share what I've learned. These examples are geared for middle school but I love them.

Michelle

David Pittu

Generic Profile avatar
mishelves - ,
Date Posted: 3/29/2016 2:13 PM ET

Hope my post wasn't confusing, when I submitted, it uploaded my errors and corrections for some reason.

Michelle

Roses723 avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/18/2016 8:10 AM ET

Drunken Fireworks by Stephen King with excellent narration by Tim Sample. (contains a little bit of profanity)

Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: Ready Player One
Date Posted: 4/29/2016 9:21 PM ET

Thank you to Jaime who recommended this audiobook.  I checked it out at the library and loved it!  It is nothing I ever would have thought to read or listed to, but throughly enjoyed the story and narration.

Cosmina avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/30/2016 12:19 AM ET

I am listening to the unabridged audio of DUNE.  Totally absorbing but I so wish the narrator was better.  Sometimes men's voices are not clear for me.  I had to adjust the sound quality of the speakers for this reader's voice.  I listened to Small Vices, my all time favorite Spenser book by Robert B. Parker.  The reader was Burt Reynolds and you would think he was a good choice but not so much.  Lots of his voice sounds garbled to me.  

By the way, I got a copy of Medicus for $4.99 from Tantor recently and two of the ten discs were blank.  But they immediately sent me new ones without question.  Good customer service.

Last Edited on: 5/21/16 8:40 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/17/2016 8:30 AM ET
I am currently listening to Roald Dahl's "James And the Giant Peach", read by the great actor Jeremy Irons. Oh my gosh, it is fabulous! First, the story is so engaging. But it is literally brought to life by Jeremy Irons. He clearly had a ball reading it. He has a commanding, very Brittish baritone, which he uses very theatrically. He is animated and utterly hilarious. I laugh out loud frequently! I must find out what else he has read aloud. ***** Five stars!!!

Last Edited on: 5/18/16 5:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
maysied avatar
Date Posted: 5/26/2016 6:19 PM ET

Well, recently I finished Staked by Kevin Hearne, read by Luke Daniels.  So far, it's my favorite.  Luke can do so many accents and switch from Polish to Irish to dog without any effort (seemingly) at all.  If you read the book, it was good, but the audio book was sensational.

Judye

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 5/31/2016 2:25 PM ET

I recently finished Lee Smith's On Agate Hill and was just blown away, mostly by the many narrators.  Superb, all.  I recently quit a book by this author, thinking it boring.  And I am allllmost sure I started this one in print and quit it.  But I am a sucker at through-the-eyes-of-a-child stories, and a good portion of this is just that.  It starts in the present, goes back to the heart of the story soon after the civil war, and ends in the early 1900's.  A few times I actually thought the book was over, and I sat all choked up thinking what a great tale, then I'd hear, PLEASE INSERT NEXT DISK.  There is a bit of music in the way of hymns, not the least overdone.  Highly, highly recommended.

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 8/22/2016 9:58 AM ET

Where have all the listener's been???

My Name is Mary Sutter was a really wonderful surprise.  We are Civil War fans (what a dumb way to put it) and I thought I knew a lot about medicine in the day and on the field.  Whoa.  This book puts you there in such a fascinating way.  Mary is a midwife, who dreams of being a surgeon, and when tragedy strikes the family, she flees to Washington to treat the soldiers.  Terrific narrator, too.

sandy1155 avatar
Date Posted: 12/11/2016 1:05 PM ET

There are so many wonderful audio books. Some of my favorites are: 

1)  "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness. Narrated by Jennifer Ikeda.(The All Souls Trilogy)

2) "Flowers from the Storm" by Laura Kinsale. Narration by  Nicholas Boulton

3) "The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie" by Jennifer Ashley. Narration by Angela Dawe.

4)The Outlander series of course.

5) "Will Grayson, Will Grayson" by Jon Greene and David Levithan. 

6) Harry Potter series are also terrific.

Last Edited on: 12/11/16 1:32 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
megt avatar
Date Posted: 12/13/2016 11:35 AM ET

Hey all!  I have been off the forums for awhile.  I have been listening to Outlander again, currently up to "Drums of Autumn" .  I was watching the show and wanted to read them all again.

Bonnie avatar
Date Posted: 12/13/2016 1:43 PM ET

Good lord, I thought something fatal had happened!  Good to see you back.

Page: