|Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.|
I'm always on the look out for story books that are interesting to read AND teach something academic. Some of my favorites are Magic School Bus (science) by Joanna Cole, Sir Cumference (math) by Cindy Neuschwander, and the Cat in the Hat's Learning Library (science) by assorted authors like by Tish Rabe or Bonnie Worth. I'd love to hear what gems you have come across!
My daughter enjoyed reading the Holling C. Holling books. They are mostly geography, but you can pull a lot of science and many other things from them. We did them as sort of a unit study, with the main focus being geography.
* Time Warp Trio (History)
* Childhood of Famous Americans
* DK Biographies
* Percy Jackson series (Mythology)
* Geronimo Stilton (Language Arts)
* Liberty's Kids (American History)
* Adventures from the Book of Virtues (and all the William Bennett Virtues/Heroes/America, etc. books) - most are OOP, but you can still find used books and videos
* Blue Balliett books (Art)
* Discover America State-by-State serires (L is for Lincoln, C is for Cornhusker, etc. - many other topics from the same publisher - Teacher's Guides, too!)
* "Come Look with Me" series (Art)
* "How Artists See" series (Art)
* Any series by Mike Venezia (Art, Composers, Presidents, Inventors, Scientists):