Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Love & Romance Love & Romance

Topic: What are we reading? July 27 - August 2

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
willaful avatar
Date Posted: 8/1/2008 4:50 PM ET

Started The Seduction of an Unknown Lady, which is blah. Kim H., don't even bother.

vwbernie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 8/1/2008 5:00 PM ET

I'm reading The Only Best Place by Carolyne Aarsen which is my first ever Christian fiction? Now I'm not the anti-christ or anything but I'm not really religious either. It's a pretty good read so far though although it's not  romantic really unless you call the googly eyes the hubby gives our heroine when he wants her to do something she doesn't want to do like do whatever his mother says. lol

It's funny. This book was on my wl for about 2 years before I got it. I have no idea what possessed me to put it on there in the first place but I did. It's the story of a woman from Seattle that moves with her husband back to the family farm in Montana. (Maybe it was tne Montana thing for me since I'm from here?) So far I'm rolling my eyes through how she is being treated by his family but hopefuly it gets better. She has good wit in places and I've had a chuckle or two but it could turn out to be a long read. *sigh*

Last Edited on: 8/1/08 5:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 12:20 AM ET

Finished Beth Ciotta's Seduced and loved it.  The series is definitely on my keeper shelf now, and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next :)

Started The Brother Returns, by Jeannie Watt (the sequel to The Horseman's Secret)--it's good so far!

mitabird avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 12:37 AM ET

I put down Ceremony of Seduction after 15 pages. It was ridiculous. I'm going to start Feast of Fools by Rachel Caine tomorrow.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 1:02 AM ET

dangit I had to order all the Ciotta books LOL! they sounded good!

Collette, I've always shied away from books I knew were obviously 'christian' - afraid they'd get too preachy but I've read several that were pretty good and the 'preachiness' suited the characters or wasn't overpowering to begin with. "Miss Invisible' was very good - a chick lit about an overweight girl. Laura Jensen Walker is the author. Her' reconstructing natalie'w as goodtoo but deals with breast cancer and death but was good. The Potluck Club was pretty good but jumped around a lot between characters. I alos have Dee Henderson's o'malley series in my TBR- they've been recommended on here several times for romantic suspense.

I read a little more of 'A Rogue in a Kilt' by Sandy Blair before sleeping this morning..almost halfway through it. now to find where Iput 'thief in a kilt' darn it! I have at least 2 books hiding from me!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 5:34 AM ET

ok, I finished 'A Rogue in a Kitl' slept a couplf of hours and now awake again :-( not doing too well switching to sleeping at night but guess that's to be expected, esp since I slept til 7:30 last night!

ETA: I found 'midnight in the garden of good and evie' while looking for the other book so started that one and it seems like it'll be a good funny read..I think some have mentioned on here that it was good as well. at least the title sounded familiar!

ETA: yes again. Ic an't sleep :-( so stupid me decided to get all teh books out of my car (and yes there were even more than I thought!) I tend to keep the ones I think I might want to read 'next' either by one of the beds or in the car in tote bags, seats, floorboards, etc! well, I found TOO many I HAVE to read right now! I found 'A Thief in a Kilt" which I dont' know HOW got out there becaue I wasn't even sure I'd like the 1st story and knew if I did I'd have to order the 2nd before reading that one..geez..also found 'ice storm'b y anne stuart w hich I've turned the house practically upside down looking for..also found about 6 Blaze titles I've been meaning to read (at his command, one wild wedding night among the pile!), and anotehr title I can't think of the name but it sounds cute and funny...there are too many books in the world and now taht I'm reading more mystery and paranormal and wantting to venture into sci fi and fantasy and 'classics'...I need to read as a full-time job :-(

I'm seriously thinking of buying me one of those isbn scanners and teh software to inventory my books! I found a set for around $100 and am th inking about getting it ( not that it will help me read faster LOL but at least I'll know what i have! wonder if they  make a version that lets you input 'where' the book is?!)

Last Edited on: 8/2/08 9:38 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
CWGal avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 12:15 PM ET

I just read Teaming Up by Abby Gaines, one of the newest Harlequin NASCAR books. Pretty good story. Now back to Firedancer--which is starting to heat up.  LOL

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 12:31 PM ET

Ooh, Susanna, let me know what you think of Beth's books, okay?  ;)

And wow, a scanner would be helpful, possibly.  Every time I think about inventorying what I have, I get overwhelmed and go start something else because typing it all in would take forever!

Melissa, I haven't finished Ceremony of Seduction either--it was pretty over-the-top in terms of the story... I set it aside thinking I might pick it back up at some point.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 2:39 PM ET

I finally got "The Spymaster's Lady" - really liking it- very different.  I usually rip through books in a few hours but I find I'm taking my time, don't want it to be over! 

I want Adrian's story!!!!!!!

Sara

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 3:33 PM ET

We've have been on the go for over a week and I haven't been able to read much.  It's finally quiet and I can recharge my batteries.  I did finish Murder By Peacocks by Donna Andrews, a funny mystery.  I've got some more of hers lined up now and I'm glad.  I also finally read The Paid Companion by Amanda Quick, it's been out for, well, years now, so I'm a little behind on hers.  I did enjoy it enough though to move her next one up to the top tier of the TBR.

I was going to try a Southern Sisters mystery next but it didn't get here, so I'm going to read Primordial by Denise Agnew (an Elora's Cave book) since it did arrive and looks good.

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 3:58 PM ET

Almost done with Born in Fire. It's quite good! Best Nora Roberts I've tried (not counting J.D. Robb.) Still doesn't feel quite like my style of book, somehow... not quite sure why. Not enough conflict?

Also in the middle of A Duke of Her Own by Lorraine Heath, which is meh. (Insert obligatory "her westerns were so much better!" remark here.)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 4:55 PM ET

Willa, some of hers have more conflict that others. The three Sisters Island and Key trilogy both dealt with evil/paranormal and there was a LOT of anger in the Three Sisters island ones, esp the 2nd and 3rd. Montana SKy had a lot going on it as well.

I read about 100 pages of 'in the garden of good and evie' by marianne stillings. It's  pretty good I think. then slept a litle bit though not very well.

mitabird avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 8:55 PM ET

I finished Feast of Fools and will start reading Surrender by Kimberly Zant.

gracer avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 9:01 PM ET

Willa, I enjoyed A Duke of Her Own, but agree that it was mediocre. It kind of read like a Julianne MacLean to me.

willaful avatar
Date Posted: 8/2/2008 10:12 PM ET

I'm liking it more as it goes on, but it's definitely not her best. It reminds me of Julianne MacLean too. (Whom I actually quite like, at least sometimes.)

I just reorganized all my historicals because I was fed up with having this mountain of potentially fabulous books and always forgetting about them and reading whatever crap comes to hand. It took FOREVER. I can't believe I don't own every single historical ever written in the past fifteen years.

Page: