Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: What are we reading in June?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 6/26/2018 12:33 PM ET

Completed Shadow of the Alchemist by Jeri Westerson and while I have read some of her earlier novels the author was not one I often turned to when choosing historical mystery.  Frankly, I picked up this novel to move it off my shelf  However, this one is very good.  I do feel that character development and story lines have gotten much better.  This was the best I've read by the author.  Crispin, known as The Tracker, is a fascinating hero who investigates whatever comes his way.  Assisting him is Jack Tucker, a young man he rescued from the streets and is training to investigate.  The two encounter a number of issues in this novel - kidnapping, murder, poisoned wells, and possibly treason.  How do all this fit together?  Somehow it fits very well as the author deftly weaves her story.  Well done Ms. Westerson!

Also read Lilac Girls by Mary Hall Kelly, a fascinating story about three women primarily during WWII.  All are affected by the Nazi invasion into their lives.  What did I like about this book?  I liked that so many of the characters actually lived during this period.  I like the author's approach to the tale, tell the story by the three key characters.  I liked that the author became so engrossed in her research that she traveled wherever she could to find more about these individuals.  It's a wonderful read.  Why didn't I do it sooner?  Five star reads are so rare.

Last Edited on: 6/29/18 7:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
Page: