Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Fantasy

Topic: What are you reading?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
SacredCaramelofLife avatar
Date Posted: 2/16/2008 6:09 PM ET

I just finished A Betrayal in Winter, book two of the Long Price Quartet, by Daniel Abraham.  I like the Asian influence of the world he's created.  This is the first of his work that I have read, and I'm eagerly awaiting the third installment.  This is the problem when you buy hard covers.  Takes forever for the next book to come out. 

I didn't discover Song of Ice and Fire until the latest book of the series was out.  Made it easy to get all the sequels up until now. :)

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/20/2008 2:05 AM ET

I am currently reading Midnight Falcom by David Gemmell who which was recommended by someone from here. the 1st book was superb & just got the others in the mail today! Just finished reading 4 of the 5 Lost years of Merlin by T A Barron which are most excellent & also recommended by someone from here. Superb writing & beyond great charactors! I fell in love with Shim the tiny giant (when 1st meet) who wishes to be big; his dialogue & character are priceless. If you liked Harry Potter & Eragon you will love this series (i think it is supposed to be for kids but who isn't a kid at heart anyway!)

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 2/20/2008 8:15 AM ET

I just spent weeks re-reading Mercedes Lackey's Valmar series because I found a couple that I hadn't read before. I really enjoy being able to read a whole series in chronological order. I like all her books, but these are my favorites by her.

I was delighted to be able to get hardcover copies from PBS of ones I did not have since I try to get all my "keepers" in hardcover if possible.

dragonbaby avatar
Date Posted: 2/20/2008 2:40 PM ET

I am reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/6/2008 12:37 AM ET

i am currently reading Her Majesty's Wizard & enjoying it.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/28/2008 10:16 PM ET

just found this again; i am currently reading Tad Williams Return to Green Angel Tower part 2 which was recommended by someone on another forum here & it is outstanding. Gets a little long at times but it is still a very good read; well written. Characters are great. Starts with Dragonbone Chair; the stone of Farewell; & then Return to Green Angel Tower part 1 & part 2 (2 seperate books) so is a little longer than trilogy but don't know the name for 4 in a series; sorry; very happy to see folks putting book recommendations on here & letting us know if good or not!

Generic Profile avatar
Debbie - ,
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/29/2008 12:20 AM ET

I just finished Storm Front by Jim Butcher and started A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. LeGuin.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/29/2008 3:43 AM ET

I am currently reading "The Fires of Heaven" of the Wheel of Time series. I have completely fallen in love with these books. I can not wait to read them all. As far as I can tell there isn't anything I dislike.

MaskedPenguinAvenger avatar
Date Posted: 3/29/2008 9:05 AM ET
Before they are Hanged - Joe Abercrombie This is the second book in The First Law series. Fast paced, gritty, and an end in sight. The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks - Not my all time favorite but good for when I just need to tune out the world. I would have to agree with some other reviewers that have said it's sort of a simpler Lord of the Rings. The writing style is a bit odd every now and then and there's easy resolution but still, it's a hopeful story and I like it.
Page: