Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: What else can I do

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: What else can I do
Date Posted: 12/2/2016 11:31 PM ET

I mailed a wish list book FIFO ,So it was not any one I knew. Anyway , I mailed on Nov, 18th . by the 29th , I checked tracking and it said it was delivered at the mailbox on the 22nd. So I pm'ed to ask " if they had received it.?  no response ,they have not even read the pm. So today I sent a message to the contact me button, they got back to me pretty fast and said They would wait until a certain date( date of action) to see if her account is inactive. Well , I pm'ed her again and it says her account is suspended or closed. So I pm'ed them again to let them know ,still wont do anything until the date of action.

My question " Why ?      I think I'm no longer going to post FIFO because it seems that people on my friends  list( and i do alot of posting to friends)  mark received pretty fast but others imo do not.

Its not like I have lots of credits like some people . I really need them, or I wouldnt have sent a book.

Last Edited on: 12/2/16 11:33 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/3/2016 1:28 AM ET

that's the way it works. The same thing has happened to me. The whole pbs activity can be described as nonchalant. Nobody gets excited. nobody gets in a hurry. you have to accept that.

Patouie avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Coordinator medalBook Data Approver medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/3/2016 3:28 AM ET

They usually won't discuss with one member why (or for how long) another member's account is suspended or closed. There may be an effort going on to figure out whether she's away/sick/dealing with a family emergency, or is having email reception problems, but that would be private.

When the system action date rolls around, the system checks to see if the requestor's account is active. If it is, the book will be marked "lost in the mail." If the requestor hasn't logged in recently -- and hasn't responded to the the emails the site has sent asking her to log in -- then the system will mark the book "received" rather than "lost". So they're asking you to let the system work. If the book is marked lost, and he still hasn't responded to you, they'll be happy to step in.

Members who need a credit quickly can print with PBS Postage -- as long as they have a good sending record, they'll get the credit as soon as they mark the book mailed, and will keep the credit if the book goes lost in the mail. Others prefer not to pay the postage printing fee, and so need to give the system time to work.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/3/2016 5:56 AM ET

It's very frustrating when that happens, Lisa.   I wish that PBS didn't have such a long "take action" date.  Media Mail used to take a long time, but it rarely takes more than a week now, and now that every package includes tracking, it's easy to document that USPS says the book was received and the date.  Very frustrating. 

Generic Profile avatar
Pat O. (PatinCO) - ,
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Diamond medal
Date Posted: 12/3/2016 10:36 AM ET

I had that happen recently, only it was just a regular book that someone ordered off my shelf. When a couple of weeks go by, I check the USPS tracking to see where the book is. In this case it had been delivered about 3 days after I mailed it, so I waited a couple moe days and then PMed the requester to let them know that the book had been delivered, the date and time, and asked them to check around to make sure it hadn't been delivered to a neighbor. Didn't hear anything, and then I got the notice from PBS that the book had been declared lost. I sent a note to TPTB at Contact Us, and sent a copy of their message, the PM I'd sent to the requester and stated I hadn't heard back. They said they'd contact the requester and if I hadn't heard back within a few days (think it was 3 or so, they gave me the day) to contact PBS again. Didn't hear and in the meantime found that the account had been closed/suspended, so when I recontacted PBS I also let them know that, and within a few hours my credit had been returned. Good luck. Pat

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/3/2016 8:28 PM ET

Thanks everyone...

IlliniAlum83 avatar
Standard Member medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal
Date Posted: 12/5/2016 7:24 PM ET

I somehow managed patience when this recently happened to me.  Sent a book in-state and tracking showd it arrived in 2 days, but since it was nearly Thanksgiving weekend, I let it go assuming the person was away for the holiday. A week after that I started gritting my teeth over it, trying to decide whether to PM them and ask if it had been received, but online shopping consumed my time and I didn't message them.......so finally ten days after PO said it was delivered, they finally admitted it was received. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/6/2016 1:21 PM ET

Seems to work for me to 

1. pm the requester with the DC#

2. Set myself up on the USPS site to receive delivery notification

3. foward the USPS DC comformation to the requester on the day it is received

That way they can check for the book on the day it is delivered. Usually results in it being marked received within 24 hours

Last Edited on: 12/6/16 1:21 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/6/2016 2:10 PM ET

Yes , I did all that. However they have their account " Suspended or closed" that is the problem.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 12/6/2016 5:32 PM ET

I am sorry Lisa. This is not in your control but is is in PBS 's control and theyhave tanken no meaningful action to suspend inactive account because it is not in their interest to do so.

Simple suggestion suggested too many times to count. Reguire a log in periodically be generous and give everyone 3 months. If they did that when the "CHANGE " came there would not be the continual problem. 

Shame on PBS

Momof2boys avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 12/7/2016 9:24 AM ET

Lisa, I have had this happen so frequently lately, so I completely understand your frustration. The following is directly from the Help Center:

If you sent the book with printed postage/tracking purchased elsewhere and it has been recorded as delivered by USPS but hasn't been marked received yet:

• First, contact the requestor from the active transaction (in the Books I've Mailed tab in My Account), or from the "lost" transaction in your Transaction Archive if the book has been declared Lost in the Mail by PBS.
  • If the requestor does not respond to your PM within five days, contact us and we will look into it.
  • We cannot grant credit for postage or tracking purchased outside PBS, but we can check if this requestor has become inactive.
  • If this requestor is inactive, your book should be marked received by the system.

What I do is wait 3-7 days (depending on my own schedule) after the book has been scanned as delivered by USPS for the person to mark received. If it hasn't been marked received, I then send them a PM as follows:

Hi--
According to the USPS, this book was delivered on Monday (3 days ago). Have you indeed received it? If so, can you please mark it received so that I can receive my credit for sending it?

Thanks,
Sheryl

From the USPS website:

Tracking Number: 91149XXXXXXXXXXX881981

status delivered

Delivery Day: Monday, October 31, 2016

October 31, 2016 , 11:16 am

Delivered, In/At Mailbox

PLATTEVILLE, WI 53818

Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 11:16 am on October 31, 2016 in PLATTEVILLE, WI 53818.

As per the HC guidelines above, if there's no response and the book hasn't been marked received within the 5 days after I send the PM, I then contact TPTB and let them know, as per the HC guidelines, that the requestor has not marked the book received and has not responded to my PM. Every time I get a response back saying that if the book is not marked received byt he system action date and the system finds the requestor's account is inactive, the book will automatically  be marked as received, but to contact them if the requestor does not reply and the book goes lost in the system without me receiving my credit. So I have done everything I am supposed to according to the HC. Then if/when the book is marked lost inthe mail, I then reply to that message from TPTB and let them know that as per their instructions I am contacting them again as follow up because the requestor still  never replied or marked the book received. In all cases TPTB then stepped in and I received my credit within 3 days. I will readily admit that I find the whole process frustrating--ignoring transaction-related PMs is supposed to be a huge no-no here, but nothing is done here for weeks in these situations. The last time this happened to me TPTB contacted the requestor and gave them 3 additional days to mark the book received--after it had already been 2 1/2 weeks past when the book was scanned delivered! I will note that I've found that the vast majority of the time the receiver's accounts are listed as suspended or closed after these incidents.