Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - October Hot Topics

Topic: What's your reading-ritual?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
SaraDiva avatar
Subject: What's your reading-ritual?
Date Posted: 12/1/2008 2:21 PM ET

Is there something you always do before you get ready to read or something you do while reading?  I love to sit up in bed at night and listen to CD's while I read, and I know a friend who has to go somewhere absolutely quiet or she will get distracted and forget what she just read.  Another friend listens to music and plays a movie while she reads just to distract herself when the book gets slow, too exciting or for when her brain shuts down from doing the same thing for too long!

Kilroy avatar
Date Posted: 1/7/2009 2:24 AM ET

I almost always read for at least an hour every night while lying in bed before nodding off...except when I am unable to put a book down and then it is often an all nighter  :^)  Also I run a white noise generator to shut out all extraneous noise.

romantic-bk-lovr avatar
Date Posted: 9/12/2009 2:48 PM ET

Sit up in bed and read before going to sleep or sitting in a nice cozy recliner with pillow, blanket and a nice tall mug of hot tea and or chocolate.  Noise don't bother me once I am interested in the book and can't wait to see what happens next.

goddessmichelle avatar
Date Posted: 10/7/2009 10:52 AM ET

Gotta have my 3 cats sitting with me or on me. 

nettiefire102 avatar
Date Posted: 10/21/2009 10:01 AM ET

I can read anytime anywhere (except in the car lol) I am usually in my chair.  Noise doesn't bother me because I have three boys, but look forward to my two and a half hours of no interuptions when little man is at school or when they go to bed.  Other then that I"m reading all the time!

aprildsygrl avatar
Subject: always
Date Posted: 10/29/2009 7:24 PM ET
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Motivation to do tasks I don't enjoy
Date Posted: 8/27/2013 4:50 PM ET

I use my love for reading to motivate me to do things around the house I don't enjoy.  For example:  I will tell myself I can read a chapter of the book I am currently reading after I clean up the kitchen after a meal.  I read one romance then one mystery one light reading then one heavier book.  I always read series in order and usually wait until I have all copies of a current series in my possession before starting.  If I truly am interested I will go through the entire series back to back.  Favorite series ... In Death by J.D. Robb; FBI by Catherine Coulter.

tkhooper avatar
Date Posted: 10/13/2013 7:41 PM ET

Reading for entertainment I do from the couch with a beverage and a snack.  Look out for stains in books oooops!

I always carry a book in my purse sometimes two so I don't get bore waiting.

Non-fiction - study I usually do in the craft room where I can open a notebook and take notes and pull out reference books as necessary.  I have lots of room in there.

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Reading ... ritual?
Date Posted: 10/17/2016 5:53 PM ET

Reading has always been an escape for me.  As a child, I could climb in a chair, hang my legs over the side and read for hours - totally ignoring the world around me.  For years, as a teacher, I read what was require for the job and what my students wrote.  Now, as a retired woman, I read to motivate myself to do something other than reading.  For instance, I will read one chapter, then dust the living room.  Ahhhhh, Books! My forever delight!