Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Historical Fiction

Topic: What's in Your Shopping Bag?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
ALbookbugg avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: What's in Your Shopping Bag?
Date Posted: 3/22/2016 4:41 PM ET

I used to love this thread back in the day. It was a great place to see what everyone  was planning to read. Is anyone else interested in this?

I haven't bought any books, but I got some goodies in my mailbox. I got two Penman books, The Reckoning and Falls the Shadow, which I am crazy excited about re-reading soon. Her books are some of the ones from my old book collection that I most regret losing. 

I also got Mr. Rosenbaum Dreams in English by Natasha Solomons. It sounds like it will be good, quirky fun, even though it's set right after WW2 was ending. 

So, what's in your bag? Or, your mailbox? This nosy chick needs to know, lol. 

bkydbirder avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/28/2016 1:12 PM ET

Hi Valli! I just spotted this and I too love this topic! I am in the process of reading Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye - very good so far.

I also ordered on Kindle a book about the Spanish flu titled Enza by Kristi K. James. I'm dying to get to it but have only read 1 chapter before I got side tracked reading books for swaps.

MichiganderHolly avatar
Date Posted: 4/6/2016 10:54 PM ET

Well holy crapola have I been blessed with a lot of books lately and I haven't actually went out and purchase a one of them!

Added to my teetering tottering TBR pile courtesy of PBS: The Witch Hunter's Tale by Sam Thomas, Newport by Jill Morrow, Orphan Number Eight by Kim van Alkemade, The Heroes' Welcome by Louisa Young, Fiercombe Manor by Kate Riordan, and the King's Curse by Philippa Gregory.

Also won these from Goodreads: The Secrets of Flight by Maggie Leffler, America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie and Natchez Burning by Greg Iles.  Also won At the End of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier from somewhere.  I don't even know where!  The Gods are taunting me with this unexpected windfall as I currently do not have time to read any of them!  

eclecticfirefly avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 4/9/2016 2:12 PM ET

I'm new to this genre so haven't read much at all - yet!

Just ordered Cocaine Blues: A Phryne Fisher Mystery (Phryne Fisher Mysteries) and A Gilded Grave (NEWPORT GILDED AGE) from Amazon.  Got Cleopatra's Daughter at a local bookstore a couple of weeks ago.  I'll be getting Fair Play by Deeanne Gist from Ginny soon......

Mostly right now I'm trying out different time periods and locales to see what interests me the most.

drw avatar
Date Posted: 4/9/2016 2:41 PM ET

Cindy, you may be new to the genre, but you've put me on to some new-to-me authors. I just ordered Cocaine Blues from the library. Thanks!

eclecticfirefly avatar
Date Posted: 4/18/2016 11:29 PM ET

LOL Donna!  I almost didn't order that one, cuz I think there are already 18 books in the series!  But, I know I enjoy that era, so figured it would be a good one to have.  Plus, it's still WL here, so I can use it in the games!

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/19/2016 1:32 PM ET

I caved this weekend and bought the latest in the "Renagades of the American Revolution" from Donna Thorland.  It's called "The Dutch Girl".  Now I'm impatiently waiting for it to arrive from Amazon.  

Jan

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 4/19/2016 1:46 PM ET

Great sounding books ladies! Holly - what a windfall is right - lucky you!!!!!

I have The Midwife and the Assassin by Sam Thomas coming to me from a kind member here at PBS. I've had somewhat of a windfall too from my WL lately. Anxiously awaiting the release of Rennie Airth's new book - The Death of Kings - which doesn't come out until January. Better cool it since that's quite a ways away. I did order Angus Donald's upcoming release - The Death of Robin Hood - from Book Depository but that one is also a long ways off and I think that ends the series.

Last Edited on: 4/19/16 1:46 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
eclecticfirefly avatar
Date Posted: 4/19/2016 10:11 PM ET

I did get these thru FIFO just in the past week or two.....

1. Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, Bk 1) by Barbara Hambly
  2. Medicus (Medicus Investigations, Bk 1) by Ruth Downie
  3. A Free Man of Color by Barbara Hambly

I'm really getting excited about reading these.  After years and years of NOT reading any HF, I'm still surprised by how much I am enjoying them!

drw avatar
Date Posted: 4/20/2016 7:18 AM ET

I am trying very hard not to purchase any books right now but this is my haul from the library - most of them recommended by my good friends here.

The Tapestry by Nancy Bilyeau

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

Heresy by S. J. Parris

A Song of Troy by Colleen McCullough

Where My Heart Used to Beat by Sebastian Faulks

DebKit avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/20/2016 10:54 AM ET

Wow! Donna W. that's a great haul!

Debbie

tjrj1988 avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/20/2016 1:15 PM ET

Ohhh-new Angus, Jeanne?  Off to check Book Depository....

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2016 7:36 AM ET

I had a gift card just begging to be spent. I ordered The Dutch Girl: Renegades of the American Revolution :: Donna Thorland

I have enjoyed the first two books she wrote in this series.

Alice

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Double Diamond medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/23/2016 7:37 AM ET

Cindy,

I hope you like Free Man of Color. It is one of my favorite Historical mysteries. The images of old New Orleans are very vivid.

Alice

eclecticfirefly avatar
Date Posted: 4/24/2016 10:46 PM ET

My HF stash is growing!  I went to the HPB giant sale and found a couple there.  Then, my book buddy and I went to one of the HPB stores and I found a couple more!

The Paris Wife by Paula McClain

The Midnight Witch by Paula Brackston

The Silver Witch by Paula Brackston

An Accidental Life: A Novel by Pamela Binnings Ewen

The last 3 are WL!  Now I just need the first Brackston book........

eclecticfirefly avatar
Date Posted: 5/29/2016 3:57 PM ET

Finally getting the first Brackston book from the WL Buddy Swap.  YAY!!!

Question - I was looking over the Club Book Lists and found one for HF.  Haven't had time to go thru the whole list, but one title intrigues me.  The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.  Says there are 25 copies available.  Anyone here have it on your bookshelf?

ASJ avatar
Alice J. (ASJ) - ,
Date Posted: 5/31/2016 7:02 AM ET

Cindy,

I tried reading that book and hated it. I gave up on it.

alice

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 5/31/2016 8:46 AM ET

Cindy - I never tried to read The Historian. Just didn't seem to be interested in it but there are others here who liked it if I remember correctly.

eclecticfirefly avatar
Date Posted: 5/31/2016 4:02 PM ET

Thanks ladies!  Guess I won't be pursuing that one since Alice and I tend to be book twins.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 5/31/2016 5:19 PM ET

I think The Historian was one of those books you either loved or hated.  I'm in the loved it category.

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/3/2016 4:18 AM ET

Does anyone know which book in the Angus Donald series is book 5 and which is book 6?  I have read up to #4, Warlord, but then I think I got confused.

bkydbirder avatar
Date Posted: 6/3/2016 8:05 AM ET

Cheryl, this should be the correct order of the series, but a last one will be titled The Death of Robin Hood.

The Outlaw Chronicles

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/3/2016 11:51 AM ET

Thanks, Jeanne!