Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: when you receive a book from a request

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Subject: when you receive a book from a request
Date Posted: 1/6/2015 8:33 AM ET
Member Since: 6/30/2008
Posts: 2,991
Back To Top

how would you grade the packaging. very good or poor.

Date Posted: 1/6/2015 9:12 AM ET
Member Since: 8/23/2007
Posts: 26,510
Back To Top

Wouldn't that depend on how that specific book was wrapped?  Some would be very good some would be bad so I don't really understand your question.  It's a case by case basis.

Honestly I don't bother with the survey stuff unless the book arrived damaged. 

Date Posted: 1/6/2015 10:34 AM ET
Member Since: 2/13/2007
Posts: 2,272
Back To Top

Like Mary, I am not sure I understand the question, but to generalize 95% of the books I receive are well wrapped, the remaining 5% are lucky to have arrived. Those are usually books placed loose in a manila envelope that is partially opened by the time I receive it. I do let the sending member know that their packaging is jeopardizing the book's safe arrival.

Date Posted: 1/6/2015 10:47 AM ET
Member Since: 3/25/2014
Posts: 2,793
Back To Top

Be kind when letting a person know the package had big holes/falling apart or whatever. 

They will NOT appreciate it if you use blaming or demanding words or tone. Explain to them in a helpful way.  

Thank them for the book also. 

Date Posted: 1/7/2015 12:32 AM ET
Member Since: 12/28/2006
Posts: 14,177
Back To Top

Not sure I understand the question, but I agree with Sally "...to generalize 95% of the books I receive are well wrapped, the remaining 5% are lucky to have arrived..."

If you feel the need to contact the sender, a polite comment like ' the book arrived safely, but the single page wrapper/loose manilla envelope/etc. was damaged.  Thankfully the book was undamaged (or, unfortunately the book arrived damaged)...in the future you may find it helpful to use more tape/fold down the envelope snug to the book/ etc." are common messages and usually well received if the wording is nice.



Last Edited on: 1/7/15 12:33 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Date Posted: 1/7/2015 9:57 AM ET
Member Since: 8/25/2007
Posts: 167
Back To Top

I agree that most books are wrapped adequately and appropriately to get the book to me safely - I'd say 98%+.  But I'm not overly picky, and don't need plastic lining, etc.  If the book arrives in condition that I can read it and pass it along to the next person, I'm happy.

I agree, if there is a problem, letting the sender know in a kind fashion is received much better.

Date Posted: 1/8/2015 1:37 AM ET
Member Since: 8/20/2007
Posts: 1,020
Back To Top

I don't keep close track of how many books I receive that are either well packaged or poorly wrapped. However, I would hazard to guestimate that about 80% to 85% of the books I receive are well or adequately wrapped, and perhaps about 15% are sent in overly large envelopes that allow books to slide around, often without additional internal protection or even a plastic covering or bag around the book. Most of the latter still arrive safely, but some come with bumped corners that I suspect occurred because the book was sliding around loosely during transit in an envelope that was too large. Some of these packages arrive with tears in the envelope that exposed the books either to potential or actual additional damage. Only in perhaps 2% or 3% of cases the books I have received were wrapped poorly enough to cause me to include a comment about the packaging when marking them received. When sending comments about poor packaging I always try to explain in a helpful way what the problem was and how the packaging could be improved in future trades.



Last Edited on: 1/8/15 1:43 AM ET - Total times edited: 1