Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Pets/Animals

Topic: Why did you name your pet that...?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
vampsteph avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/18/2012 8:29 PM ET
Our chocolate lab is a rescue so she came to us as "Greta". Funny I could not imagine her with any other name. FYI she's currently snoring!
pktbomb avatar
Date Posted: 5/21/2013 6:16 AM ET

my dog is named vince masuka after the character on dexter

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 5/29/2013 8:26 PM ET

Ever wonder why FDR called his little Scottie "Fala"?    and LBJ's beagles were named "Him" and "Her"?   There just have to be anecdotes about that . .  

A former neighbor of mine named one of her cats "T. D. 'Cat;"    I asked why.  She said it was short for "That Damn Cat".   But she was fond of that feline!

Last Edited on: 5/29/13 8:29 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
Silvercat avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/30/2013 3:36 PM ET

You make some good points, Bonnie!  :)  Do you by any chance know the stories behind these names?

Your comments about T.D. Cat resounded! A bit off the subject, but our obedience trainer related that he was having a good deal of trouble with a huge German Shepherd puppy he was training. The dog would NOT come when called. In frustration, the trainer called the dog by name and stuck a dammit on the end. No more problems!

Guess that comment from trainers that you hear is dead-on. It is the tone of the voice ----

Silvercat avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/14/2014 10:59 AM ET

I's been awhile - any more good names to share with the rest of us?

DragonDawn avatar
Subject: LOL
Date Posted: 8/14/2014 3:29 PM ET

I just recently adopted a Minnie Dachshund from my local shelter. He is so sweet and cute but such a little shit he gets into so much mischief. I really struggled to find a name that fit him. until I stumbled onto Mikey by remembering the commercial from my childhood, cause you know Mikey Did IT! LOL!!!

Silvercat avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 8/14/2014 3:35 PM ET

Perfect! Must be magic in there somewhere  - wink

holly-berry avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 5/17/2018 10:08 PM ET

This is an old thread but I named my amazing dog Dash because of this poem that someone sent to me after dealing with cancer treatment and right after I adopted this special dog

The Dash

by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend

He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end

He noted that first came her date of her birth
And spoke the following date with tears,

But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years

For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth.

And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not how much we own;
The cars, the house, the cash,

What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard.
Are there things you’d like to change?

For you never know how much time is left,
That can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough
To consider what’s true and real

And always try to understand
The way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger,
And show appreciation more

And love the people in our lives
Like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect,
And more often wear a smile

Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.

So, when your eulogy is being read
With your life’s actions to rehash

Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?

Silvercat avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 5/18/2018 12:47 AM ET

Holly, this thread is older, but the door is always open. I'm so pleased you decided to post this - it says a lot! Thanks for the meaty content - gets a person to thinking. Dash, and you, must be very special.   :)

Last Edited on: 9/25/18 1:47 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
blubonnet1 avatar
Limited Member medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2019 3:21 PM ET

I've had a cat named CeeAtee. (C.A.T.)

Our first rhodesian ridgeback was named Brisket.  Yes, after the meat. :)

Our second Rhodie is named Gaffney.  After one of our favorite local singer/songwriters named Chris Gaffney that has passed.

Out Chihuahua/italian greyhound is named Dewey Crowe.  After the charactor in Justified

Silvercat avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2019 10:12 PM ET

Hi, Wendy!

Looks like you have had a bit of fun with names....love the idea of calling your dog Brisket and the cat name is really clever!

Me? Not so much!

Just brought a 7 month old kitten home on March 5th and named her Raven. Seemed like  an old name for such a young cat, but have found it prophetic! My cat has invisible wings! 

Silvercat avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 12/15/2021 1:21 PM ET

Here I am, after a very long time...and rereading, and enjoying, what used to be such an active thread that brought much of interest and humor to me and other animal lovers.

Raven has become one of the nicest companions since last I wrote two and a half years ago and still actively earns the name she has been given. A close friend here on pbs refers to her as BirdCat. How apt, as I measured a jump she took this week from her small cat tree to my bed...over 7 feet! Raven has the true tortie personality - the earth is hers and watch out!

Thanks to all of you who contributed to this compendium of personal stories and happy discoveries for suitable names for our fabulous pets. It has been a long journey and happily taken.

♥♥♥ 

schnauzer-mom avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 12/18/2021 8:20 PM ET

I adopted my mini schnauzer 2 years ago. Her original name was Megan.  She didn't look like a Megan to me but I didn't want to confuse this poor creature whose world was upended so I call her Meggie. Also, Love Muffin.

But my late wife and I owned a Shih Tzu many many years ago. She actually got him before we met. She said she fell asleep on the sofa holding her tiny puppy. The Star Spangled Banner came on; she looked at the puppy. Said, How about Banner for your name? He yipped, wagged, and he was Banner for the next 18 years!  One in a million dog, too.

Silvercat avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 1/2/2022 12:35 PM ET

Sorry for the delay in responding, Teri! So glad you got a new companion and she has worked out well for you. Life just isn't the same without a pet - is it??

Page: