1. Never say anything unkind about anyone.
2. Avoid drawing attention to yourself.
3. Do not grumble. Go through each day with praise.
4. Control your imaginations and daydreams. Never think of yourself as the key player.
5. Eliminate all reading and other pleasures that harm rather than enrich your life.
With disarming candor, Hannah Hurnard tells us how the five keys outlined above changed the way she viewed life. "We begin the winged life," she says, "when we allow God to begin transforming us by the renewing of our minds. He does this by going to the very root and heart of our trouble, the thought life.