Passionately encouraging readers to reclaim the precious moments of their personal histories, Hauser shows readers how to transform them into intimate, compelling narratives. Using inspired samples from her own work, as well as essays by her students, she illuminates the process of finding and conveying meaning in both their own life and the lives of their friends and families.
Readers will create their own memoir as they work through the exercises in each chapter, learning along the way how to:
* use details to tell stories vividly
* use sensory images to express feelings and beliefs
* uncover the values and meanings expressed in their stories
* find perspective by framing thoughts and feelings at different life stages
* trust the images and moments that come to them in memory.