Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Would it be the wrong thing to do?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Would it be the wrong thing to do?
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 2:44 PM ET

I'm really tired of people not marking things received when I post wish list books FIFO. It does not happen with people on my friends list or people who are active on the forums.  Most of the books that I post fifo,I've had to check tracking and send a pm. that they may or may not mark received .

So I posted another one and this person does not have a membership , it has been accepted ( Not sure if It had a green W from long ago that may be a abandon acount)  I pm'ed them just to see if they still want it but havent gotten a message back.  Should I mail or not?

sarap avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 6:06 PM ET

You can tell if it was auto-accepted by checking the Details icon on your Transaction. It will tell you when the book was offered and accepted.

If you are worried that it was auto-accepted and the account isn't active anymore, buy postage from PBS and send it, then you have your credit and nothing to worry about.

If it wasn't auto-accepted, then the person logged in to accept it, therefore, I imaginge they will be expecting it.

I wouldn't wait for an answer to a PM, (I know, it's unimaginable to us regular forum posters, but ...) many people don't log in every day, in fact, they might only log in when they get an email about being offered a book.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/29/2017 7:10 PM ET

Thanks Sara

thameslink avatar
Friend of PBS-Double Diamond medal
Date Posted: 4/30/2017 12:48 PM ET

It's not just abandoned accounts who are causing problems not marking books received. Lately it has been a consistent problem for me. I had one a week or so ago (a standard member) who I PMed just before the book was to go lost. I got a prompt reply acknowledging receipt weeks earlier (I always use tracking so I am aware of how long people are taking to mark books received) but the member STILL did not mark it received. Gave her 24 hours before I contacted PBS who contacted her and it was finally marked as received. I've been here over 10 years and never had the problem of people not marking books received that I am having now. Have never seriously considered leaving PBS before, but having to chase people down for my credits is really getting to me and if it continues I very well may throw in the towel.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/30/2017 2:36 PM ET

Sally , I've been having the same problem.  I know how you feel.

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 4/30/2017 5:57 PM ET

There's definitely been an upsurge lately in people not marking books received in a timely fashion, at least for me.  I'm chasing one right now.  Can't speak to why, but it's MADDENING. 

hannamatt52 avatar
Friend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 6/22/2017 5:41 PM ET

I've been having the same issues lately with members not marking their books received.  I do save all my slips from the usps now with the tracking numbers on them as I did have one book go missing a couple of months ago and I had not saved the slip for it.  I wait at least a week to 10 days after the book has been shown as received by the post office and then send a pm to the requestor asking confirmation of delivery.  I don't ever seem to have this issue with friends or fellow forum members here at PBS though.

bookbuggg avatar
Standard Member medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 6/23/2017 1:27 PM ET

I get that too and books sent to me..being sent to me so late (Even though marked mailed) I'm getting them 4, 5 weeks after that date. Some go lost. I don't know why, it just happens.

TwoBooklovers avatar
Date Posted: 6/23/2017 1:38 PM ET

I do what Cheryl M. does as well, but not many of my books go to friends.So the statitistic is skewed towards people marking received only after I mail them the UPS tracking number and asking them to mark it received.  

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 6/23/2017 1:54 PM ET

Depends on what your PM said. Think given the current issues, I would send a PM  communicating that because of PBS issues a reply is required prior to shipping. If a reply is not recieved, then I would cancel.

I do not have an issue with having w/l books marked received perhaps because I provide the requester with the d/c number and set myself up for delivery notification. Upon delivery I advise the requester. 

Last Edited on: 6/23/17 3:06 PM ET - Total times edited: 1