Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Money Saving Tips Money Saving Tips

Topic: Yard Sales

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
azie avatar
Subject: Yard Sales
Date Posted: 5/16/2012 1:35 PM ET

Yard sales have lots of wonderful items for very cheap there is one going on May 19 satuday in Fallon Nevada 172 whitaker ln.

carolceltic avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 5/21/2012 9:37 PM ET

cool enjoy wish live near there.

Vitallia avatar
Date Posted: 6/19/2012 9:54 PM ET

I just got done having a yard sale, they're a great way to make some money.  I'm just wondering how many other people have had yard sales out there and done well/how my profits compare to some other peoples'...  The smallest amount I've ever made was $300, and that was when I got rained out at 10:00.  I average $700 for a yard sale, some years a bit more, some less.  Some of my friends are amazed and suggest I write a book about how to have a successful yard sale, but I'm wondering if this has already been done, or if it's common sense.  This year I made $800, and was rained out at 2:00. 

What are your yard sale triumphs?

Generic Profile avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 7/2/2012 11:51 PM ET

I don't find having a yard sale worth my time now that I work full time. I'd rather donate the stuff, take the tax deduction, and enjoy my weekend. 

If I pulled in $700 out of stuff I didn't want anymore, I might change my mind, but I just don't tend to clear out that much expensive stuff.  I don't own designer clothing or such, so I don't have anything to sell worth that much--I think the last few sales I could have sold every item and not taken in $300.   Most of what I sold I either had bought second hand or had years of use, though, so I still counted it a win when I got something, I knew it went somewhere someone wante dit, and I regained space.

My irritation around here are the several people who have one person flea markets.  They clearly have bought stuff for resale and have three or four or more sales a year.  I learn where they are and avoid them.  Real flea market\antique\collectible dealers have to pay business registration fees and sales tax on their sales.  I don't like someone pretending not to run a business in order to avoid fees that they should legitimately be paying.

There are books out there on having a garge sale--but the last one I looked at was suggesting buying stuff to sell at your sale, and picking the brains of knowledgable friends to help price.   I put it back down and walked away in disgust.   That's a business, and people are paid for appraisals.  I don't know if other books are more about having a garage sale that involves actually selling things you used to want and don't anymore or not.

Last Edited on: 7/2/12 11:53 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 7/5/2012 2:12 PM ET

since my town has limits on yard sale permits (2 per year), it is nice to find big yard sales.  Usually everyone has one in august to coinside with Good Ole Days or when Gettysburg Bike week is.  I have not had great yard sales, but my mother has.  We live 5 miles apart, go figure.

BookwormMary avatar
Date Posted: 8/25/2012 7:24 PM ET

I made about $200 last year - and that was for a basement full of stuff that had been "collected" over 10 years that I finally found the time to go through.  A friend of mine has a yard sale every single year and brags about making hundreds of $$.  What she isn't remembering is that she spends thousands for all that stuff before selling it for pennies on the dollar at her monster yard sale every year! 

MaryF

lionrose avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 10/21/2012 11:43 PM ET
Our community has one every year (they're called garage sales around here, but we do them in the driveway). I have a love/ hate relationship with them. On one hand we can get rid of lots of unwanted stuff and we make a little cash, but on the other, people really are not willing to spend anything. We have had brand new, never used items, sometimes still in the box or with tags (we even print out the store item page with price) and get offers of $5 for $100 items. Come on, we're not trying to recoup full price, but we would like to justify selling it in a garage sale versus giving it away.

And don't get me started on thieves. We've had people take parts, like the nozzle on a sprayer,and wheels from a shop vac. Probably the part they were missing themselves. And clothes never sells, even good stuff from Aeropostale, Tommy Hilfiger, etc.

wow post #1000!

Last Edited on: 10/21/12 11:44 PM ET - Total times edited: 1