Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Paranormal

Topic: Difference between paranormal romance and urban fanasty

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
mariep avatar
Subject: Difference between paranormal romance and urban fanasty
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 11:33 AM ET

How would you describe it?  I find I like UF better than paranormal romance but have a difficult time explaining why or what makes them different.  I know they get classified as the same a lot...of course there is a lot of cross over too.  Today I read an interview w/ Caitlin Kittridge and she said one is character driven and one is relationship driven and that certainly spoke true to me.  I had a 'that's it!" moment.  What do you guys think?  I once had a disagreement with someone who said they aren't different at all...I certainly disagree!

AshsHeroine avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 11:42 AM ET

I agree with Caitlin Kittridge. Plus, ya know, romance isn't always in urban fantasy, but theres always fantasy/paranormal in paranormal romance.

magicmama avatar
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 1:01 PM ET

I definitely think they are different. There is a certain formula that romance novels tend to follow. Boy and girl meet, annoy each other, something happens to keep them apart, they realize their love for each other, usually someone has to make some sort of sacrifice for them to be together and then they live happily ever after. I think that the BDB books are more romance, The Lords of the Underworld, The Dark Hunters etc. Books like Jenna Black's Morgan Kingsley series, Kim Harrison's The Hollow's series, and the like are more urban fantasy. they tend to focus on the action and don't have a clear romantic sub plot. That's how I think of it anyway.

mattc avatar
Matt C. (mattc) - ,
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/10/2009 1:45 PM ET

I would consider urban fantasy to be any fantasy in a modern setting, much broader than paranormal.  I'd consider most of Orson Scott Card's non-series books to be urban fantasy, and they do nt have the usual paranormal themes, and are not (at leat not primaily) romantic in nature.

Criskat avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 2/11/2009 4:14 AM ET

I haven't read a lot of urban fantasy but I'd agree with Kittridge. The UF books I've read have all been plot driven with a bit of romance but the romance isn't the storyline.  I've read Pettersson, Murphy and Harrison and love their books for the characters and storyline. I even think the Mercy Thompson series by Briggs would fall into UF.