Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Homeschoolers' Corner Homeschoolers' Corner

Topic: post deleted. Deals not allowed on this homeschool site.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:   Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: post deleted. Deals not allowed on this homeschool site.
Date Posted: 2/11/2008 6:47 PM ET

Last Edited on: 2/13/08 8:00 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/14/2008 1:19 AM ET

what's a 'deal' that isn't allowed, anyway?

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 2/14/2008 2:42 AM ET

Hi Kristi,

I didn't know until today that we are not supposed to offer "deals" on the Homeschool Forum .I deleted my 2 for 1 deal offer because I found out it is against the rules. However, we can go on the Book Bazarr site and make offers for deals.

• Homeschoolers' Corner
    • Allows homeschoolers to gather and exchange information and ideas
    • Posting about books on your bookshelf is allowed in this Forum (to let others know that specific educational materials are available), but no deals may be offered here.       

• Last Edited on: 2/14/08 2:53 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
    Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/14/2008 2:47 AM ET

Here's a link to the rules for the various Discussion Forums. I didn't know about these rules until they were brought up in a thread today. I 

http://www.paperbackswap.com/help/help_index.php   To find the forum rules, click on the PBS Community Link, then go on the link for Discussion Forums. Rules are listed for each forum.

Last Edited on: 2/14/08 6:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
    Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/14/2008 2:58 AM ET

Here's the policy for the Book Bazaar

• Book Bazaar
    • This is the place to advertise your bookshelf and "make a deal"
      • Members often post "deals" or "bargains" in the Book Bazaar, hoping to clean out their bookshelves and earn some credits.   We do not officially support such deals (there is no credit compensation for unsatisfactory or unfulfilled swaps).
      • Members cannot offer or ask MORE than "PBS Price" for a book, but they can offer more than 1 book for a credit
      • Members cannot swap books-for-books in the Bazaar (this is limited to subscribers to Box-O-Books)
    • Members also offer unpostable items here (damage books, ARCs), as incentives with a request from their bookshelves, or as "freebies" that they send free-of-charge to other members
    • We ask that members not start more than one or two topics in Book Bazaar per day, and "bumping" of your topic is discouraged, as this is unfair to other members.
      • It is perfectly all right to start a topic about your bookshelf and post an update or bump every day (once a day), to let members know about any new books or deals you are offering.
    • Only books may be swapped in the Book Bazaar.
  • Momn4boys avatar
    Date Posted: 2/14/2008 10:41 AM ET

Last Edited on: 2/14/08 10:42 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
    Melita avatar
    Date Posted: 2/14/2008 1:20 PM ET

Does anyone know if it is possible to start a homeschool book bazaar?

Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/14/2008 2:09 PM ET

We could contact paperbackwap.com  and just ask for one. But since there's really not very much traffic on this forum I wonder if they will want to set one up.  But it couldn't hurt to ask. It seems to me that pbs is growing and who knows  how busy a Homeschool Book Bazaar would eventually get.

Sherry

Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/14/2008 2:39 PM ET

I would love to see a homeschool book bazaar.  I don't know if busy has as much to do with it as computer logistics which I don't know a single thing about.  doesn't hurt to ask. :-)

Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/14/2008 3:21 PM ET

Right, how busy the forum "looks" probably would  not be the deciding factor. I agree. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Sherry

momwith3kids avatar
    Date Posted: 2/14/2008 7:21 PM ET

WOW.  I'll have to remember this one for the future.

Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/14/2008 7:24 PM ET

I would love to have a homeschool bazaar.  I have some Dora the Explorer Phonics books that I posted in the Book Bazaar (which I don't go to very often, as I hate wading through all the ads and simply don't have time), but I'm not sure the majority of the club would be interested in them.

Dawn

Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/15/2008 1:16 AM ET

Oh yeah - we nee one.  I always look HERE for deals.  I really mainly want them on homeschool books, preferrably from other homeschoolers.  ;)

thezookeeper avatar
    Date Posted: 2/15/2008 2:09 AM ET

I wonder if we could have thread like "Post your homeschool deals here" and just keep adding to it and bumping it up? Then it would only be 1 thread (people would have to be responsible to come back and edit their post to let us know when the deal is over) but to me it is well worth it to have homeschool specific deals posted in the most logical spot - the homeschool board.

Or since we technically can't post our deals here, maybe we could say "Post a link to your homeschool book deals here", and just post a link to a deal we post in the book bazaar.

There has to be a way. I rarely go to the book bazaar anymore, it's too crowded and often you can't even tell what the deals are without opening the threads. It's alot of time wasted digging for what I want.

Melita avatar
    Date Posted: 2/15/2008 4:08 PM ET

Maybe for right now we could list our deals on Book Bazaar with a heading "Homeschool".  Just to get some set up started.  Maybe this would give us an idea of how many deals would be listed each day/week.  If there shows to be enought to set up a separate post sight we would know before hand. I'm always looking for good homeschool deals inbetween and the romance and etc books. 

Last Edited on: 2/15/08 4:09 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
    JCCrooks avatar
    Date Posted: 2/15/2008 6:30 PM ET

Not only does the romance and other fluff annoy me on the BB, but also when I see a "children's book deal" and it's all TWADDLE!!!!  That's why I come here to look - not just for deals, but for annoucements of additions to bookshelves.  I *know* I won't find much twaddle on all y'alls shelves :-)

JC

imapugmom avatar
    Date Posted: 2/15/2008 8:06 PM ET

I didn't know this either. It only makes sense to list book deals that would appeal to other homeschoolers here. I can't even figure out why that rule would exist. I'm always on the lookout for material!!

Rhonda

Melita avatar
    Date Posted: 2/15/2008 10:18 PM ET

Especially if you find someone with 200-500 books on their shelf.  Who has time to look through all that.  I like it when I have a better idea of who is offering the books.  You just never know on the opey forum.

Generic Profile avatar
    KAH
    Date Posted: 2/19/2008 2:47 PM ET

I'd really like to be able to keep the homeschool deals on this forum . .. I just got done browsing the first couple pages of the Book Bazaar and there's just too much there to go through . . .and most of it isn't stuff I want anyway. 

Melita avatar
    Date Posted: 2/19/2008 3:15 PM ET

I feel the same about that!!

Last Edited on: 2/19/08 3:16 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
    Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/19/2008 9:20 PM ET

This is soo upsetting.  This board is the only place I come for deals.  I do not have time for the BB and I do not like it there.  I only want to deal with other homeschoolers/educators.  UG!  Why not continue to let us post deals like we ALWAYS have.  I have been here for a year and always got my deals from this area! 

Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/19/2008 9:34 PM ET

Also, why can't we offer deals?  There are deal in EVERY other forum - the Teacher's Area, Children's books, etc.  Why not here.  If I want to chit chat I can go to thehomeschoollibrary.com but I come here for deals! 

Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/20/2008 10:41 AM ET

I sooo agree with you!  since we've always done it, why can't we just go ahead and do it? Or am i being too rebellious in saying that?  lol

Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/20/2008 3:13 PM ET

I would like to put in my two cents. I have tried  to look on the other form for deals  but get really tired of looking though all the other stuff. I come here for deals for my home school needs. It seems to me to be less time than looking somewhere else. I didn't know it was against the rules. I have only been here a short time. Hope it can all get worked out soon

Generic Profile avatar
    Date Posted: 2/20/2008 3:15 PM ET

Honestly, I don't think it would be a problem to pbs unless others complain.  If those not wanting to look through your deals posts getting in the way of chatting complain then it may be a problem.  If no one complains then I doubt it would be a problem.

But I do not want to break the rules and risk losing the priviledge of  having a pbs account.

You can list deals in your signature line. Also you can make announcements of whats on your bookshelf here. So just put the deals in your signature line and make announcements of whats on your shelf once  a day and you won't be breaking any rules.

Page: