Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Homeschoolers' Corner Homeschoolers' Corner

Topic: Homeschool Thread at Book Bazaar

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Subject: Homeschool Thread at Book Bazaar
Date Posted: 3/7/2008 11:44 AM ET

I just wanted to say that I tooled on over to the Book Bazaar several days ago and checked out this thread.  I clicked Watch This Topic and everytime there is an addition I get an e-mail with a link.  I just click on that and it takes me right to the thread.  I click on Last Post to see what's new.  It's fast, easy and I don't have to think about "checking" anything nor do I have to hunt it down in the sea of Book Bazaar posts. 

I'm still in favor of a moderated sticky thread but this is working great for now.  Just wanted to share :-)

ABCatHome avatar
Limited Member medalMember of the Month medalTour Guide Asst. Coord. medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medalPBS Blog Contributor medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 3/7/2008 2:17 PM ET

Rebecca, I too really love the Watched Topics!  I use it all the time, although I don't have my settings set to email me.  I just check it every once in a while and see when the last time something was posted.  So glad this is working for you for now...

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: kidergarten curricullum needed
Date Posted: 3/15/2008 10:55 AM ET

I am overwhelmed with all the different types- Any suggestions on what to use next year for my son  and do you have any  deals on your shelf that would meet my needs to teach kindergarten next year.

Holly

cincinnatiyankee avatar
Subject: Kindergarten
Date Posted: 3/15/2008 2:14 PM ET

Hi there, Holly.

My kindergarten stuff is long gone, so my shelf won't be much help.  However--I'll let you know what kept me from getting overwhelmed with picking kindergarten curriculum.

I decided that the two main things I wanted my daughter to come out of kindergarten "on track" with were reading and math, and I just looked at those subjects.  At that age, all of the other subjects can be "covered" with whatever exploration and family discussions you're probably already doing.  (Examples:  Why is today a holiday?  What floats in the tub?  What field trips can we take?  Library, science museum, parks?)  Once you've settled on a math curriculum, and whatever you're planning to use to teach reading (I used mostly the library and home-made stuff), then you can start branching out and looking at other stuff--sometime next year! :)

(By the way--we decided to use Saxon Math 1 in Kindergarten, and my daughter really liked it.  I didn't like any of the reading kits at my homeschool convention that year, so I used a mismatch of what I found at yard sales, my library, and made myself.)

Hope that helps!

Generic Profile avatar
Subject: kindergarten
Date Posted: 3/15/2008 5:24 PM ET

Thanks for the advice- I have the " Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons"  That will be my reading curricullum and I have a few of those math books that were posted ex: M&M math and count with Hershey kissess.  I will use them until I track down Saxon Math 1.  Thank you for reminding me to keep it simple. 

Holly