Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Hidden Gems Hidden Gems

Topic: Marley & Me

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Generic Profile avatar
Limited Member medal
Subject: Marley & Me
Date Posted: 3/12/2008 8:34 PM ET

I saw Marley & Me mentioned again in the Best Dog Books thread, and it made me wonder... again....if I am the only person out here who did not love this book?  I was just not enthralled at all.  I found Marley's distructive antics repetitive and tedious (hey look, there's Marley the big oaf, raising heck at the beach...*groan*...), and probably because my own dog was just way more lovable and cooler.  I just could not get into it at all.  Just wondering....do all the rest of you just love Marley & Me?  

carolceltic avatar
Member of the Month medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/12/2008 9:43 PM ET

i love it and though it was done great but that me. i love dog books.  

Generic Profile avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/13/2008 3:31 AM ET

I loved it--laughing and then, of course, crying.  And, I'm more of a cat person. 

Caryn9802 avatar
Date Posted: 3/13/2008 9:58 AM ET

I loved it.  This is the most recent book I've read that produced real tears for me.  I'm curious to see how the movie will be done.

VickyJo avatar
Limited Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPBS Blog Contributor medal
Date Posted: 3/14/2008 8:05 AM ET

I didn't read it.  I was afraid Marley was going to die in the end, and his little face on the cover was so darn cute, I didn't think I could handle it!

Jeannewar avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 3/14/2008 10:05 AM ET

I read it and loved it too.

dogsnbooks avatar
Date Posted: 3/14/2008 6:43 PM ET

I loved the book and related with some of the experiences.  That doesn't mean I would have been able to live with Marley and his destructiveness.

psychobabbler avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Date Posted: 3/14/2008 10:53 PM ET

Having lived with a disturbed cat from hell for nearly 17 years, I could relate in many ways to the frustrations and love the book contained. 

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/14/2008 11:37 PM ET

Loved it!  I got my lab mutt from the pound and too late found out the difference between the lovable lazy "english" lab and the high drive, high energy "field lab".   Since I know maybe a tiny bit more about dog training then those folks did, we didn't quite have the incredible experiences they did, but i could so relate.  I am quite sure my dog could pull a heavy table down the side walk too.  That book really made me laugh, and yeah, in some ways they were bad owners (hello, a little training!) but I admired their devotion to that dog even after he showed his destructive abilities!

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/24/2008 11:15 PM ET

I loved it, but I felt like the author/owner was detachted somewhat from Marley, as I am of my fiances yellow lab. She's lovable, but I'm not 'in love' with her as most pet owner's are.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 3/26/2008 10:45 PM ET

LOVED this book! And I'm not much of an "animal book" reader (or lover). I have had incredible dogs excellently trained, and dogs who could have spent more time in obedience school :). I think this book hit the heart of anyone who has ever had a dog become a part of the family (and like human family members, so are more trained than others *grin*). I recommend this book to every animal lover and dog owner I know!