Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - USPS Postal Regulations USPS Postal Regulations

Topic: Where do "lost" packages go?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
BetsyP avatar
Friend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Where do "lost" packages go?
Date Posted: 4/1/2008 7:39 PM ET

I think I may have had my first book that I sent out, go lost.   I swap regularlly with a buddy in the Northeast.  It generally takes about 8 days for books to get to her.   Well, its been twice that, and the date where we report the book as lost is coming up on the 14th.    I even sent books to her after that one, that arrived fine, no problem.  So, just out of curiosity, when a package does go lost, where would it go? Delivered to the wrong address?   Lost in the corner of some P O between Florida and Massachusetts?  Could it have fallen out of a mailbag, and be on the floor of a mail truck somewhere?   

I wrapped and taped it up well.   Its a big book.   I wrapped it in the PBS wrapper, and it clearly had both addresses on it.   Paid for postage at the P O.    Didn't use DC, because up 'til now everything was going so well.   No lost books.  

Just wondering.  Where do the lost packages end up? 

hugbandit7 avatar
Book Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medal
Date Posted: 4/1/2008 7:42 PM ET

no idea but you can fill out the form on the USPS website for lost packages.  I did this when I received an envelope without the book.  not sure if I will ever see the book but I can hope!

I don't have the link handy but it is in one of the other threads in this forum.

Generic Profile avatar
Date Posted: 4/2/2008 7:59 AM ET

There are mail recovery centers. It is in Atlanta GA. for the East coast. Mail that is undeliverable goes there with the exception of the advertising catalogs and flyers. They sort items and hold them for a period of time waiting to see if there is a claim for them. After that they auction the items. Letters are generally shredded. Books end up in a bin and auctioned off.

breezyhmh avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Gold medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2008 9:09 PM ET

I have got to know when that auction is!!!! LOL.  I will not have any problem planning a vacation to Atlanta ;P

Advertisement avatar
Standard Member medal
Date Posted: 4/2/2008 11:52 PM ET

http://www.usps.com/auctions/

hugbandit7 avatar
Date Posted: 4/3/2008 5:45 PM ET

how long before they decide it is unclaimed?  I sent in a form about a book that came out of the envelope but haven't heard anything from the USPS.  Should I contact them with the ref number?  Is there a certain amount of time I should wait?

hugbandit7 avatar
Date Posted: 4/3/2008 5:45 PM ET

oh and I love how books must be picked up in MN even though you bid on them in Atlanta!

Susanaque avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medal
Subject: Where do "lost" books go???
Date Posted: 4/6/2008 4:09 PM ET

They go the same place the other sock goes after you put them both in the washing machine!!!

BetsyP avatar
Date Posted: 4/7/2008 5:06 PM ET

Update:   The book arrived today, in perfect condition!  I don't know where it was, but it did arrive.   I guess there is always hope! 

beccarae1 avatar
Date Posted: 4/8/2008 4:53 PM ET

Has anyone done these auctions?  The Atlanta/St Paul connection does seem strange, but my sister lives in Atlanta and I live 45 minutes away from St Paul.  If we go down to visit, I might just have to schedule it to coincide with an auction, lol.

Poncer avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalFriend of PBS-Gold medalPBS Cruise Attendee medal10th Anniversary PBS Cruise Attendee medalPBS Blog Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 4/14/2008 11:06 AM ET

Oh, let me know, I'm in Atlanta, I'll go bid, if you will go pick up. Just wondering if they send them to MN via Media Mail? It could buy us some time to find a truck!