Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Questions about PaperBackSwap Questions about PaperBackSwap

Topic: Ick. Ack. My head hurts.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Dartha avatar
Subject: Ick. Ack. My head hurts.
Date Posted: 4/30/2008 6:49 PM ET

Becoming Behavior

This book is on the Wishlist.

I have a 2006 printing of this book with the same ISBN. The problem I am having is that sometime between the 2005 printing and the 2006 printing, this author either got married, got divorced or changed her last name to "Harvey". So the author listed on my copy of this book says "Ruth Harvey" and in smaller letters underneath "Formerly Ruth Reider".

But wait, there's more:

When you open the book, the very first page (the flyleaf, NOT the title page_ let's you know that this book is self-published through Morris Publishing, with all the book's printing attributes and at the very bottom says "This book is only a printing sample. Not for resale."

This is NOT an ARC, or proof copy, but a sample book evidently printed so that interested parties can judge the quality of Morris Publishing works. Does this make it unpostable?

melanied avatar
Standard Member medalMember of the Month medalBook Cover Image Group medalBook Data Correction Group medalTour Guide Leader medalBook Bazaar Coordinator medal
Date Posted: 4/30/2008 6:54 PM ET

I would say yes it is not postable, "not for resale" is the clencher I think.

Dartha avatar
Date Posted: 4/30/2008 6:59 PM ET

not for resale

See, that was my initial reaction, too! Thus the headacke.

The more I thought , the more I thought. And now I am just dizzy.

Thanks.

Dartha avatar
Date Posted: 4/30/2008 7:00 PM ET

Not DITZY.

Dizzy

vanessav avatar
Date Posted: 4/30/2008 8:04 PM ET

List it in your signature as unpostable, if it's WL, someone will want it. Oh wait, you did, haha. Good luck!

berlioz3 avatar
Date Posted: 4/30/2008 8:09 PM ET

Dartha, I have to agree.  I agree it is not an ARC, but the HC does mention "not for sale" (albeit, in relationship TO arcs, but I think the flavor is still there...)

An ARC  (Advanced Reader Copy)  is an advance release of a book, usually sent to reviewers before the final copy of the book is published.

• Advance Reader Copies are also known as Review Copies, or Uncorrected Proofs.
  • They are softcover books and often carry the same ISBN as the hardcover first-edition that is released later.
  • On the cover, they will be marked 'Advanced Reader Copy' or 'Uncorrected Proof' or 'Review Copy' and will usually also say 'Not for Sale'.

This is still a "sample" book, so I think the "unpostable" suggestion was a good one. (Hope I didn't add to your ditzy..er, dizziness. ;-))

deltatiger avatar
Member of the Month medal
Date Posted: 5/1/2008 3:06 AM ET

Ditzy...Dizzy...what's a t between friends?