Skip to main content
PBS logo

Discussion Forums - Book Bazaar Book Bazaar

Topic: Free TURNIP BLUES with order

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
  Unlock Forum posting with Annual Membership.
Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Subject: Free TURNIP BLUES with order
Date Posted: 11/18/2008 11:23 PM ET

This book is in pretty good shape actually, but for upper outer corner that at first glance I thought got fluffed up because a toddler bit it.  The waviness is in that kind of shape on some of the pages.  But then I came to a page where you can see something was spilled.  This is relatively minor damage, but because of it, the book is unpostable.

Order a book from my shelf and you can have this free.  Just PM and post here that you want it.

This is the review I just wrote for the book:

I was looking for something light and fun to read, and assumed this would be a Fannie Flagg-type of book, or one like Clyde Edgerton's Walking Across Egypt, or maybe something similar to the Mama books.  It started out that way, 2 fiesty, near over-written elderly ladies going on a road trip to Bessie Smith's grave...cute, almost too cute.  But then it gradually changed, evolved.  The bones of the story hardened, it grew muscle, adding strength to the prose, the plot.  These two are more than the typical sweet yet gritty old ladies, they are women of substance. The trip itself became incidental as we relived their lives through memories, right up to the end.  A surprising novel, a satisfying read.  I'd definitely read more by this author.

Bonnie avatar
Standard Member medalFriend of PBS-Silver medalPrintable Postage medal
Date Posted: 11/19/2008 11:29 AM ET

Anyone?  This really is a good book...